Part 6

The moon had risen high in the darkened sky as Meliodas, Elizabeth, Ban and Diane gathered in the bedroom.Oslo had joined them that evening. The black hound was found scratching at the door when the dragon sin had returned and was now lying at King's feet. 

Diane stroked the fairy's soft, brown hair affectionately. "Just give me one last chance to show you how precious you are to me, I'll always take care of you and..I need you."She sobbed. 

"It's not always that easy, Diane."Meliodas said. "He knows you love him. The problem is that you can only fight for so long with so much against you. I know it's not what you want to hear, I don't like having to say it...maybe he-" The dragon sin was interrupted by the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs and a moment later, Merlin appeared followed by Gowther and Hawk. 

"Hey guys."Meliodas greeted, the usual cheerful greeting was replaced with a grave tone. "Thanks for coming back, Merlin.  Please do what you can for him." The mage approached the bed, examining the fairy.

"I don't suppose anyone knows what kind of poison was used?"the captain shook his head.

"No. "

"I'm sorry to say this, but I really don't think much can be done for him. Pulling him back would do more harm than good.  I can try a couple things  but I can't promise he'll make it. The wounds are too deep and the poison  would have to be removed from his body. There are methods used on humans but King wouldn't survive them."Merlin reported.

"Don't say that!" Diane cried. "He has to get better."

"I know this hurts, but sometimes the best thing to do for the people we love is to let them go in peace."Diane shook her head.

"No, he needs to be here with me. I love him so much."she sobbed.

"He knows." the dragon sin said. "You were able to show him that but take a minute to think about this. This is really painful for him and he's very sick, weak. It's hard to let go, Diane, I know because I've lost people too. You want what's best for him right?"

"The best thing is for him to be here. I can-"  Meliodas sighed. 

"Look at him, Diane." The blond sin said patiently. "He's having a hard time breathing, nothing you do can make that better with someone this close to dying."

"Stop it, he's not-"

"Listen to me." Meliodas pressed, this time moving to sit beside her. "I know that scares you, but really think about what King needs."

"Merlin said she could try-"

"Yeah, but she also told you she can't promise it'll work. It's more than just-"

"I can't."Diane sobbed into her palms. "I can't let him die."

"You're not. You've done everything you can.  Letting him die would mean doing nothing to help him,you did take good care of him, but sometimes it's not enough no matter what you do. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you'll be okay. "

"But he won't. M-maybe if we wait just a few days, Merlin can-"Meliodas embraced her, silently. Elizabeth soon joined in, resting her head on the giantess's shoulder.  After several minutes, Diane pulled away, turning back to the bed. She drew in a shuddered breath, raising a shaky hand  to again stroke his hair.

"Harlequin," She began softly, fighting back the rest of the tears. King never did like to see her cry, this she knew all too well. "You've always kept your promise,you've filled my heart with so much love,enough to last lifetimes. You've given me so many beautiful memories of us, you were always strong for me, especially when I couldn't be.   No matter how far away we are from each other, I'll keep you safe inside my heart. As much as I want you to stay, I don't want you to be sick anymore. I have to be strong enough now to let you go. Don't worry, I'll be okay, I have the Captain and Elizabeth,even Ban's here..and Oslo. I promise you...it's okay. I love you." Ban moved to stand at the fairy's bedside.

"Hey,King. Just want to say thanks..for everything." He cleared his throat turning from the group.  "I'm gonna give you guys some time." He said, leaving the room and heading downstairs.  Meliodas stood, addressing King next. 

"We haven't always gotten along, but you guys have been like family to me. I hold you in the highest respect. I consider it a honor to have been your captain, to have fought beside you and called you friend...brother. We got things here,don't worry about that. Rest easy, Fairy King, Harlequin. You've fulfilled your duty in this world with honor befitting not just a knight, but a true king, fighting for what was right. You have my word that you will not be forgotten, thank you." Elizabeth couldn't seem to find the words, instead she sat quietly, her head bowed respectfully. 

Diane would continue to remind King of the precious memories they had made together until her beloved Harlequin drew his final breath. 

***

Harlequin stood between Helbram and Elaine, his hand placed over his heart. 

"You okay?" Helbram asked. 

"My heart hurts for her..but I also feel relieved in a way. Do you think Diane will be all right?"

"Is that why you waited brother?" Elaine asked, laying her head on his arm in an effort to comfort him. King nodded.

"I needed to know she'd be okay. I could hear her-"

"I know, you will sometimes, when her heart calls out for you.  Just because you're here, doesn't mean your connection to her is broken. It'll always be there. "Elaine explained. 

"You need some more time?"Helbram asked as the doorway opened behind them. King hesitated.

"She's not alone, Harlequin. If I've learned anything about those guys, they'd go to the ends of the earth and beyond for each other. You've earned the right to take it easy now."

"I think I'm ready." Elaine took his hand, offering a reassuring smile before leading the group inside the gateway.

A/N Hello dear reader, there will be one or two more chapters to this story and then I have two other projects planned for Diane and King, if you're interested. Thank you for taking the time to read and support this story. It really means a lot.