Part 4

Ban gazed upon the fairy king in silence. From a short distance, it was difficult to tell if King was breathing. He stood beside the bed. Until now, Ban struggled with visiting his friend. He had decided to put off speaking to him, but a few bottles of ale had convinced him the time was right.

Ban cleared his throat.Hey King." He began. "Good to see you're still here. You look like crap by the way...probably feel worse. This whole thing's got me thinking a lot lately. Thinking about the old days, you know. How much I royally screwed up with pretty much everything.  I didn't understand back then..after everything-I was always amazed that you   could still care that much.  The things I never said...I'm not real good at this sentimental stuff but I do want you to know that...I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't protect Elaine. I know you blame me and in a way I guess you're right. I probably should've known better.  Like I told the captain the other day, it's always the good ones the worst things happen to. For the times you actually had my back when so few others did.It's not fair. People like you and Elaine suffer and go through hell while people like me-" Ban chuckled humorlessly. 

"Listen." he continued, his tone somber. "I'm gonna tell you something Captain and Diane won't because I don't think  they  understand.  Before Elaine saved me,  I was hurt pretty bad. I had a lot of pain. I don't know where you are with that but We only know what you let us see. When it comes down to it...Only you know when you've had enough. You wouldn't be letting us down if you need to go.  Sometimes you just gotta put yourself first. But it's only fair to warn you that if you do, I'll have to come find you and kick your ass all the way back here." King remained still, giving no indication that he was aware of the man's presence.  Ban shook his head, in spite of their many fights through the years, he had always liked King. 

From the hall, he could hear Diane and Elizabeth chatting softly, their voices getting closer. 

"Looks like Diane's back. Sounds like she's still angry at the Captain. They had a...thing earlier. I'm surprised you slept through it. Pretty sure half the country heard about it. I don't think I've ever seen her react that way." The girls hurried into the room, Diane carried a bowl of cool water while the princess followed with new bandages. 

"Thanks, Elizabeth. You can put them on the table and I'll take it from here."  The giantess said, placing the bowl near the stack of cloths and moving to greet the fairy with a gentle kiss on his head. She lowered herself onto her knees beside his bed. 

"I'm back." She announced softly, her anger melting away at the sight of her love, sadness replacing it in her heart.  Thanks for staying with him, Ban."

"Yeah, no problem. You sure you don't want me to  do this?" Ban offered. "King wouldn't-"

"I know and thanks, but I promised to take care of him and I owe him at least that much. " Diane said, preparing herself for the task at hand. "Harlequin, I'm going to change the bandages now.  I'm sorry it took so long."

"I'll give you a hand." Elizabeth offered, kneeling at her side. "Just tell me what you need."

"I need him to be okay." Diane replied, carefully removing the blanket. Her heart sank at the sight of the crimson covered dressings. She set about her task, careful to apply the new dressings and wrap a larger bandage around him hoping the small amount of pressure was enough to at the very least slow the bleeding. 

Diane replaced the blanket back over the fairy king, then taking hold of one of the cloths, she soaked it in the water, squeezing out the extra and gently wiping the beads of sweat from his face. 

"Harlequin, please." She pleaded. "I don't know what to do. They'll be here soon, but you have to-please don't leave me. I promise I'll do anything you want. I'll take better care of you.. this time I'll protect you. After everything you've given me, I have no right to ask for more, but I can't do this without you."Ban knew from his own  experience that nothing he could say would bring any comfort to her heart. If loving words held  such power, surely Elaine would be there.  

"It's not right."Diane sobbed, prompting Elizabeth to embrace her.

"You're right, life's not all sunshine  and rainbows." Ban replied. "Sure you get a moment once in a while but life just doesn't work that way. It sucks, but that's reality. It's the ones that love the most that end up with most of the trouble. I wasn't there when it happened, but I can tell you that you couldn't have stopped him from doing this. Everyone freezes, everyone has their limit, you hit yours. He doesn't want this for you.  He doesn't blame you at all, he told you-"

"I know what he said. What would you know about it?"Diane snapped.

"More than you think. You think I don't know what it feels like to feel responsible for someone else dying, I-"

"He's not dying, he can't. I just want it all to be a horrible dream, so I can wake up and he'll be fine. There's still so much for us to do together."

"I hope you do get to do those things, Lady Diane. I'm sure Lady Merlin will find a way, Like Sir Meliodas said, we just need to be patient."

***

"Brother?" the faint voice seemed to be coming from a distance away. King struggled to open his eyes, though he felt no pain at the moment, his strength had not returned. "Brother, wake up."

"E-Elaine?"King called back, his voice merely a whisper. 

"Wake up, Harlequin, " A gentle hand took hold of his. " you and I have a lot to talk about."