NINE

Just as everyone had predicted, Eden Hall's varsity team swept the floor with their opponents. Adam scored once, causing Julie, Charlie, and their friends to go wild. Jett scored twice, as did Rick, and while Rosa and Mabel were quite enthusiastic, Delanie hardly quirked a smile. She did clap for Nigel's goal, and she whooped along with her two best friends as the in-arena announcer gave Scooter props for his shut-out. While it wasn't ideal, Delanie did begrudgingly admit to herself that she had fun. Or at least, it beat sitting in her dorm alone.

Julie and Charlie split off from their team to walk with Delanie and her friends as they exited the rink. "So? Did you hate it?" Julie asked playfully, nudging her roommate's arm.

Delanie rolled her eyes, but did find herself making sure that Mabel and Rosa were preoccupied with Charlie before lowering her voice and eyes. "It... wasn't awful," she started, but quickly cut off Julie's quiet celebration, "But! It wasn't ideal. Not my favorite thing. And I still hate all of them."

Julie laughed, "Hey, I'll take it." The pair rejoined their other friends, worming themselves into the conversation being had. As the five students meandered out of the building and through campus, Delanie found herself liking Charlie and Julie more and more. Julie was a bit quiet at times, but she was agreeable. Charlie was just a ray of sunshine, and Delanie found it hard to ever imagine him on ice skates. Maybe she was beginning to change her mind about hockey players.

Maybe.

But then she thought of her brother and his friends and Adam, and she was reminded of all of the reasons why she didn't like them or the sport. Two good ones didn't necessarily change everything. But she was trying to give them a shot.

At the very least, she was willing to accept the fact that her generalization wasn't always accurate, but that didn't necessarily make it completely inaccurate, either.

After a little while, Charlie excused himself from the girls, explaining that he had to go find Adam and Fulton to head home. Rosa and Mabel told him to extend their congratulations to Adam, and Julie hugged her friend before bidding him goodbye. Charlie waved as he left, and the girls watched to make sure he was safe until he was out of view. Then they turned and made their way to their dorms, chatting aimlessly about classes and boys and the whole nine yards.

It was peaceful. Enjoyable. Delanie found herself realizing that she had never quite had friends like these.

And it was nice.

--

The next morning brought the first Saturday of the school year, and Delanie was both grateful and completely lost. She woke up much later than she typically had to for classes, and was slow as she moved about the small dorm room. Julie was still wrapped up in her sheets, so Delanie tried to be as quiet as she possibly could. However, when she knocked a book off of her dresser as she was trying to open a drawer that had stuck, the blonde stirred. With a grunt, she pushed herself into a sitting position, finger combing her messy hair away from her face. She turned to Delanie with a drowsy yawn, "Mornin' Lanie."

Delanie grimaced, "Sorry for waking you. Stupid drawers..." she angrily tugged with all of her might, causing the drawer to finally fly open, exposing her jeans. She grumpily removed a fresh pair of pants and slammed the door closed, causing her roommate to laugh. She then found her bath towel, which was folded neatly by the door.

"Are you headed to the showers?" Julie asked, stretching her neck and back. When Delanie nodded, Julie got out of bed and began to scramble through her own belongings for an outfit. "I'll walk with you, otherwise I might never get out of bed."

Delanie laughed and waited patiently for her new friend as she stumbled around in search of her slippers. When the blonde was finally ready, the pair left their room, nearly bumping into Mabel as she left her own dorm. "Good morning!" Mabel nearly shouted, a chipper smile on her face. If there's one thing she was good for, it was her ever-present enthusiasm. Julie and Delanie murmured their greetings in a much quieter way, and when Mabel discovered that they had the same destination in mind, she joined their trek through the dormitory. Mabel chattered on and on for their entire walk down the hallway, causing the other two girls to exchanged humored, yet tired looks. Delanie loved her friend, but she was fairly happy when they reached the communal bathroom, as it gave her the opportunity to quietly wake herself up. A warm shower was all she could hope for right now.