TWENTY-THREE [END]

Once Delanie had collected herself, the couple ended up making their way to Russ and Luis's dorm. Luis immediately answered the door upon their knocking, ushering them into the very cramped small room. They separated, Adam going to talk to Charlie and Guy, and Delanie finding Connie and Juile. She immediately congratulated her girl friends, hugging them both tightly. "Great way to show how much you deserve those scholarships," Delanie determined, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hell yeah!" Connie cheered, throwing her arm around Julie, who was giggling at her friends.

Shortly after Delanie and Adam's arrival, there was another knock on the door. Luis got up to answer it, catching Delanie's attention. She watched as the boy stiffened ever so slightly before his shoulders gently slumped. She craned her neck to see who was there, but to no avail. After a moment, Luis motioned for whoever was there to come in. To Delanie's undeniable surprise, her brother, Rosa, and Zander walked in.

Rosa quickly made her way over to the girls in the corner, throwing her arms around Connie before turning and hugging Julie the same. She murmured her congratulations before taking a seat on the ground next to them. Delanie crossed the room to her brother, who had already been joined by Adam. When she reached them, Adam immediately wrapped an arm around her. Jett crinkled his nose. "I'm going to have to get used to that aren't I?" he asked, causing Zander to chuckle.

Adam nodded. "Yup," he answered easily, popping the 'p' at the end.

Jett laughed in response. "I suppose I can adjust," he said with an exaggeratedly heavy sigh. His answer was accompanied by a short laugh before his tone sobered. He gaze hardened as he focused on Adam. "Hurt her and you're dead, Banks," he threatened, his tone laced with sincerity.

Adam paled, nodding furiously. Jett held his gaze for a moment before breaking out into a grin. He kissed Lanie on the forehead. "Have fun, be safe," he murmured, his sudden change in tone throwing her for a loop. He caught Rosa's eye and sent her a small wave before disappearing into the hallway behind him.

Zander paused for a moment, looking as though he was about to follow Jett, but hadn't yet committed. He thought for a moment before turning back to the younger couple, his forehead creased. His gaze settled on Delanie. "Don't hurt him," he said, jabbing his thumb in Adam's direction. His eyes twinkled affectionately as he joked, "if you hurt a hair on my son's head, I will end you."

Adam punched the older boy in the shoulder. He rolled his eyes, but the smile on his lips gave away his true emotions. "Don't worry, Z," Delanie promised with a laugh, "I'll take good care of him." She smiled up at Adam, whose cheeks had reddened considerably.

Seemingly satisfied, Zander gave a curt nod. He waved his hand in the air. "Congrats, Ducks," he shouted over the noise, causing everyone in the room to grin at him. He smiled softly, "We're lucky to have you representing our school." There were various cheers as the older boy took his leave, bidding Delanie and Adam one last goodbye before shutting the door behind him.

Adam smiled gently. "I have so much appreciation for that kid," he mused, absentmindedly pulling his girlfriend closer to his chest. He looked down at her, "You know, I probably would've never asked you out if it weren't for him. Nigel tried, but he just made things awkward. Zander was the only one who actually... boosted my confidence."

Delanie couldn't help but grin as she nodded. "He's always been a good kid," she hummed, leaning her head on Adam's shoulder. "It used to feel like I didn't have an older brother. Now I have two."

--

Further into the night, Mabel stormed in, not bothering to knock. Luis furrowed his eyebrows at her abrupt entrance, but didn't stop her as she stomped her way over to the congregation of girls across the room. She immediately jumped into a lengthy rant about how awful her date was -- he had no manners, was way too flirty, and had absolutely no interest in actually getting to know her. Everyone gave her reassuring pats and comforting hugs, but in the end, she just shrugged it off.