TEN

After an exhilarating weekend of all-nighters and English essays, Delanie found herself once more nearly falling asleep in her desk during first period. Monday mornings were always hard, but there was something about Monday mornings at Eden Hall that were just a new breed of impossible. Granted, she and Mabel were up studying for their math exam until 11 pm, so that probably didn't help the whole exhausted thing.

The only thing keeping her awake during English was Chris Mcmahon and his incessant babbling.

"You know, little Park, Nigel and Jett seem to think that you're good luck," the older boy chattered, though the humored smile on his lips told Delanie that he was joking. Not only could she never in a million years imagine Nigel Sweeney saying something so sincere, but she also knew for a fact that Jett had no idea that she and her friends were at his game on Friday. If he had, she wouldn't have heard the end of it during breakfast on Saturday.

She rolled her eyes at the boy, but said nothing. She had learned a long time ago that boys like Chris only fed off of objection. If you ignored them for long enough, they got bored and moved on to find someone they could actually get a rise out of. That was actually a lesson she had learned from Jett when they were kids. That was his secret way of not letting Chris bother him when he was being a jerk: ignore him.

Needless to say, Delanie didn't say much throughout first period. Second period, however, was very different.

As per usual, Delanie bumped into Nigel in the hallway. He gave her a smile as he fell into step beside her. "So, how was your first Eden Hall weekend, Park?" he asked politely.

Delanie couldn't help but quirk an inquisitive eyebrow at him. That was a genuine question. Nigel Sweeney was attempting to hold an actual conversation with her, no teasing involved. "It was fine," she responded apprehensively, staring straight ahead as they maneuvered down the hallway.

"Glad to hear it," the boy said cheerfully. There was an uncomfortable silence before he spoke up again, "Zander picked you out of the crowd during the game. Didn't think you were planning on coming. What changed?" There was a lilt in his tone that led Delanie to believe that he had more reasons than simple curiosity to ask such a question.

She narrowed her eyes slightly as she considered the question. What had changed? Did she really just not want to sit in her dorm by herself? Or was her sudden urge to prove herself to blame? There was no doubt that she was trying her hardest to break out of being Jett's shadow. Perhaps the whole "I want nothing to do with my brother" shtick was doing her more harm than good.

"My friends were going," she finally decided, shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly, "I didn't really have much else to do, anyway."

Nigel nodded. After a moment, the smile on his face was replaced by a smirk that was typical of him. He seemed to be internally warring with himself for a while before he caved. "Heard you're becoming friends with some of the Ducks."

Delanie furrowed her eyebrows. The only Duck she would consider herself to be anywhere near friends with would be Julie, and most of their friendship was built upon the fact that they woke up in the same room every morning. She could see herself becoming friends with Charlie in the future, but they were hardly friends now. She shook her head, "I mean, not really. My roommate is their goalie. I know some of them."

Nigel's smirk only widened. "So you know my boy Banks then?" he asked with a suggestive quirk of his eyebrow.

Delanie scoffed. Of course that's where this was going. "I wish I didn't," she answered coolly.

"Aww, don't be like that, Park," Nigel cooed, elbowing her side softly. "Banksy's cool. Well, as cool as a freshman can be. Cooler than you. He minds his own business and stays quiet. You could learn a thing or two." There was the Nigel she was used to.