SEVENTEEN

Later that week, Delanie was wrapped in a blanket while Julie hurried around the room, desperately trying to get her outfit together. She spun on her heel, staring at her roommate with wide eyes. "Does this look okay," she asked, breathing heavily.

Delanie furrowed her eyebrows, "Jules, are you out of breath?"

"Answer the question!" Julie shouted impatiently, throwing her arms up in the air.

Delanie held her hands up defensively, "Geez, sorry." She studied her friend's outfit for a moment before nodding. "Yeah, you look great. Maybe a different pair of shoes though."

Julie looked down at her feet before nodding, "I thought so too. Damn it. Thanks Lanie." She hurried over to their shared closet, kneeling on the ground as she dug through the various pairs of shoes. Delanie was about to ask her a question when the blonde held up a pair of nice black flats. "Are these yours?" she asked without turning around.

"Yes ma'am," Delanie answered. She hadn't even realized that she'd brought formal shoes.

Julie turned to glance over her shoulder, a desperate look in her eyes. "Can I borrow them?" she pleaded.

Delanie laughed softly, "Sure, Jules. They might be a bit big on you, your skates were kinda snug on Wednesday." Julie waved her concerns off before exchanging the pair of sandals she was wearing for the flats. She gave her friend a grin before jogging over to her bed and throwing her arms around her. Delanie giggled as she returned her hug. "Why are you so worked up about this anyway? It's just a team dinner."

Julie and Adam had been discussing this jv-varsity dinner all week, and it was finally the night. In a weird way, Delanie was a bit jealous. This was a missed opportunity to see Adam all dressed up and handsome. But at the same time, she didn't think she could sit at a table with Chris, Cole, and Rick for much longer than ten seconds. For that reason, she pitied the ducks.

Julie shrugged, "I don't even know, honestly." She seemed to think for a moment, as if she was reevaluating her entire outlook on the night. She let out a breath. "I think it's just because I don't get dressed up very often," she explained, "that, and the varsity guys are kind of intimidating. Not to mention some of them are cute."

Delanie scoffed at that. Other than Adam and maybe Nigel, she couldn't quite imagine being attracted to any of them. Cole was too dumb and aggressive to render any sort of respect. While Rick had an arguably handsome face, his superiority complex was a total deal breaker. Zander was too much of an older brother to her, and Chris was... a lot of negative things. "They're definitely not," she rebuked, giving her roommate a somewhat disgusted expression.

Julie threw a shoe at her friend. "You're literally in love with Adam Banks, so you can go ahead and take that right back," she countered. When Delanie rolled her eyes, Julie continued, "besides, it's not like I was talking about Chris or Cole. You know just as well as I do that Nigel is a certified babe. And Scooter..." Delanie smirked as she watched Julie's face redden, her sentence trailing off.

Delanie squealed excitedly, "No way!" Julie just glared, turning her back to the girl. Delanie clapped her hands. "Oh this is so good. So good. Oh my god, you guys would have goalie babies."

"Shut up!" Julie squealed, throwing another shoe at the giggling girl across the room. Delanie deftly leaned out of the way, wincing when the shoe thumped against the wall, just barely missing her lamp.

Julie let out a huff and Delanie laughed under her breath. The brunette let her friend cool down a little bit before beginning a new conversation. "Well, I do have to admit that there are certain... things that make me a bit sad I'm missing out," Delanie confessed. When Julie gave her a pointed look, she rolled her eyes, "Yes, Adam is one of them."