SIXTEEN

•ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS•
"i just want my sister, i want my friend"

•ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS•"i just want my sister, i want my friend"

I didn't sleep much that night. No matter how exhausted, hungover and awful I felt, I couldn't sleep. Just silently watching the lights go by from the window seat that was placed in the alcove toward the back of the room.

Killian insisted on staying, taking up most of my bed as he quickly fell asleep after I refused to say anything. He thought I was sleeping soundly, so he let himself nod off. I'd be dead if he found me nursing this bottle of whiskey from Hazel's collection. Haz was of course sleeping soundly in her bed, no one could wake her when she's in a deep sleep. I hugged the bottle to my chest, the coolness of the liquid grounding me as I thought about Alice. The raven haired girl was innocent and I made sure it stayed that way, my dick of a father wouldn't train her or touch her because I made a deal.

A deal which was broken.

Even when I was younger I always wanted her to be the best of my fucked up family. I always wondered what would of happened if I was born after her, would she have tried to protect me as I tried to protect her?

Silently I took a swig, my eyes stinging and my throat burning from both holding back sobs and taking back the whiskey. I couldn't stop running over all of my memories with her. Trying to remember the good and not the bad. Why did I only seem to remember the bad?

LONDON, ENGLAND- 1981

"Kai..." my baby sister mumbled, her sleeping frame tossing and turning, black hair in tangles over the plush white pillow. I came to see her whenever I was set free from the chains that bound me to serve, bound me to him. This room was the only safe place in this house, all because of a promise. One that was never spoken of, but he knew and for that he wouldn't touch her. Alice would forever be kept in the dark.
The dark being the safest place for her, unable to see the horrors that occurred. The horrors that were kept at bay from my broken yet resolute body.

In Alice's eyes, I left her to go on long trips with our father. The young girl having to reside in a separate house with a hired nanny. The house was barely ever empty, even with Alice gone, I would still be here 'training', or my father would be there waiting for me to return from an task. That's what he would call it anyway...

The hired nanny was one that I and our mum had chosen. My father unable to sway me as I stood tall and refused to allow anyone he had picked. It had to be under my conditions or I wouldn't have agreed to do anything in his name.
My mother wanted both me and Alice away from the lives they led, but she quickly came to realise that it wasn't possible for me. She knew of my training, but not the extent. The woman was a puppet to my father, like me, she just saw him in a different light. I saw the shadows that resided, yet she only saw an intriguing light that drew her in. She was charmed, unaware of the harm he caused to the family.