31

"Yeah, Son, I'm really am ." She looks so happy and nice. I like her.

"Where have you been?" I ask her. "Are you all done working now?"

She looks sad at mommy for a second, I feel her move her jaw, and then she looks back to me with a more forced smile.

"I'm sorry my job got in the way of us meeting sooner, but I promise that wont happen again. Nothing could keep us apart now that we know each other, not even my work."

"Ms.Hansen." I hear a new voice, so I turn my head to see a lady dressed in curtains. "Dinner is ready when you are, ma'am ."

The lady smiles at me so I hide my face in mommy's hair again.

"Are you hungry?" I hear my mama ask. "I thought we could have dinner together."

"Sure, we'll join you." Mommy agrees. "We haven't ate yet, Chris was too excited."

Mommy carries me to a kitchen with mama following us.

After mommy puts her bag down on a barstool at the breakfast bar, she takes me to the table and sits me in a booster seat. It's not like mine that I have at home, though.

"Macamonies!" I squeal when I see my favorite. And chicky nuggets, too! But ew, trees are mixed in. I know it's trees, I can tell.

"Do you like macaroni and cheese?" My mama asks me. "I love it."

"It's my faborite!" But not that yucky green stuff. Broccoli looks like trees, and that is yucky.

"Well, you just gave Gail a raise." She chuckles. But I don't understand what she means.