-7- Whiskey Shot

Owen Savas

Chelsea didn't let me down. We step into Matt's restaurant to a flood of congratulations, Matt the first one there, wrapping us up in a bear tight hug.

I don't know how Chelsea managed but everyone's here. We're either all really lame and boring or everyone canceled plans. But I'm not going to question it.

We're stuck just inside the door as our friends and family huddle around us, each one waiting to say their congratulations. I glance at Mina, a huge smile spread across her face as she hugs her dad. But I don't get a chance to continue watching her as arms wrap around me and I lean on my cane to support my right side.

"Marriage looks good on you." Jase says, his wife Natalia beside him.

I hug her too, "thanks guys".

"You know how hard it was to find a sitter so fast though." Jase is teasing me. "Maybe give us some notice next time."

"Eh you managed. How is the monster?" Natalie's son is cool, a quiet, shy, four year old, smart as a whip and really into drawing which is crazy for his age.

"He's working on a picture for you and Mina." Natalie tells me.

The tail end of her words get lost though as commotion happens behind them and I hear, "get out of my way! It's my turn!"

And then there she is, the woman that raised me. I take one look at her, her hair now white, she seems like she's finally aged, weathered and wrinkled but still beautiful and I feel a lump settle in my throat. God do I love Nan.

Opening my arms up, I pull her to me. "Hey Nan."

"Oh my sweet Love." She hums. "I am so happy for you."

She pulls away slightly so she can look up at me, a sad smile pulling at her lips as she says "your pops would kill me if I didn't say this." Her hands run up and down my arms before she fusses with my unzipped coat like she's trying to straighten out a suit jacket. "Sometimes it's better just to say you're wrong even if you know you're right."

I laugh, Pops' voice ringing in my ears like he's still here. I'd heard him say that on more than one account as he smiled fondly at Nan. One time I asked him why he apologized for something that even I knew he was right on and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "at the end of the day, being right doesn't really matter. Your Nan is what matters."

She squeezes me tight, words not needed as I think of Pops. I can only hope that I'm half the man he was.

"He loved you very much." She tells me. "And he'd be so proud of you my Love."

She pulls me close again and I curl myself around her, letting her motherly love soothe aches that I harbor from loss.

When she finally pulls back she smiles, patting my chest affectionately before she says "now enough of that." She's seen the flood of emotions in my eyes. "This a happy day, smile Love."

And then I watch as she inserts herself between my dad and Mina, shoving my dad in my direction.

Neither of us manage any words, opting for a hug. It's the kind of hug where you squeeze a little tighter, hold the other person a little longer than you normally would, hoping that all the unsaid things between you get said.

"I love you Owen." My dad chokes out into my ear, his hand patting my back.

"I love you too dad."

And this continues until Mina and I have hugged everyone, fought off tears, laughed, smiled, and then reunited at the center of a string of tables that someone pushed together by the doors that lead to the where the pool tables are.

"How did you plan all this?" Mina asks before my ass can even hit the chair.

"I didn't." I say. "All I did was call Chelsea from the bathroom of the courthouse."

"Is that why it took you so long?" She nudges me in the shoulder. "I almost came and checked on you."

"Are you timing my bathroom breaks?" I tease, knowing full well she has.

"You're obnoxious." She says as she laughs and my heart leaps around in my chest.

"God I'm so in love with you." The words come out without me even thinking about it.

I can't help it though. I've been stupidly in love with Mina for what seems like my entire life. And now she's finally my wife. God that's crazy to hear. She's my wife. I have a wife. And it's Mina.

My eyes drift down the table of people that have come to celebrate with us last minute. It's full of all the people that I have loved since I was born and the ones I've come to love throughout my life. Max and Zach, Max's parents and Uncle, Alec and Madison, my dad, Nan, Jase and Natalie, Chelsea, Mina's dad and stepmom and her little brother Will.

There's just a couple people missing and their lack of presence is something I don't think I'll ever forget.

My mom. Mina's mom. Pops. Drew.

I lock eyes with Alec and it's like he can read my thoughts. Both our expressions somber despite the laughter and excitement that surrounds us.

"I'd like to make a toast!" Max shouts drawing our attention as he starts to stand.

"No!" Chelsea shouts, yanking him back down in his chair. "Sit down!"

And we all erupt into laughter.

                              ————————

I'm warm from the alcohol that's been placed in front of me throughout the night. Our celebratory party has dwindled to just Max, Zach, Alec, Madison, Chelsea and us. We've been playing pool, laughing and dancing to whatever's playing on the radio thats over the restaurant speakers.

I lean back into the chair, letting my leg straighten out beneath the table trying to alleviate some of the pain that's running through it as I watch Mina. Her cheeks are flushed from the alcohol, her smile quick as her normal stoic front is loosened from intoxication. Somehow though she still manages to kick ass at pool. She's currently head to head with Max, Max keeps shit talking but he's losing.

A body drops into the chair beside me, Alec's large frame making us feel closer than we actually are.

"Congratulations man." I knock the neck of my empty beer that's in my hand to us.

"Thanks man. And thanks for coming."

He nods. "Of course, I wouldn't miss this. We actually tried to make the courthouse but I had to drop Aiden off at my parents first."

"Hey I'm just happy you got to come in the first place. It wouldn't have been the same not being able to celebrate with you."

My words have a not so hidden parallel and we both fall into silence until a waitress appears in front of us with more drinks. She places three Miller Lites on the table and three shots filled with amber liquid that can only be whiskey.

I look at Alec who shrugs his shoulders before I glance around the room and meet Mina's green eyes. She gives me a small smile.

Its a weird feeling to have your heart soar but ache all at the same time. I return her smile with a matching one of my own before I pick two shots of whiskey off the table, handing one to Alec before we clink the third one in unison and knock it back.

My life isn't perfect. But I've got a woman that I love, a family to call home and friends that come together in times of happiness and grief.

I don't know what else I could ever need.

                                  The End

—————————

Alright, long awaited wait for Safe's epilogue will be over tomorrow. Who's ready?

Also, you all almost let me slip on the double update. I seriously almost forgot. But guess what I did today. I went for a nature walk at a Metropark near by and I had a cute little birdie land on my hand. And it was the best thing ever.

Quaration: favorite Disney princess?

Merida all fucking day. She's a badass.