|5|Heartbreak

Kunal Rajvansh had grown up, with an overwhelming sense of devotion to his mother and adoration, for his brother. Between them, he had always been in a tight spot, always doing cease fire, always making sure they didn't grab each other's neck and as much as he loved both of them, he hated that the two people he loved were always at loggerheads to each other. But that morning, standing by a wall as he heard Parul's sobs and the reason behind Abir's broken engagement, Kunal felt cheated.

He felt cheated by the God he prayed religiously every morning to.

He felt cheated by the woman who was his supposed birth mother and also the woman whom he had grown up called as his mother.

Most of all he felt cheated by his brother, the same one he literally worshipped.

And in between the betrayal he felt and the gasps that left him as the pain began to feel real, Kunal silently walked away, for the first time unsure if he was actually walking home or just into another illusion.

------

Parul's apologies and sobs were met by an equally distraught Mishti, who held Parul's folded hands and shook her head.

"Forgive me Mishti, I failed Abir that day. I chose my son over him, despite all my claims of loving them Equally. I am so sorry", Parul wept, her eyes filled with pain and anguish, her entire demeanour tired. Mishti knew what that stance meant, it was what she had felt a lot of times in her life, especially at Jasmeet and Kuhu's mercy.

Parul was obligated to Meenakshi, grateful in ways and she was obviously expected to be under her, good or bad. Mishti understood that, which was the reason she didn't hold any resentment against her, instead she was grateful for her to let her know the truth.

"Maasi, nothing will change the fact that you do love Abir as your own. Thank you for coming to me, I promise I will make things alright. I promise Mishti and Abir will be back, soon", Mishti's words acted as a blam to Parul who bid her a teary good bye, after blessing her.

Mishti stood transfixed staring blankly at the road for sometime. She could not understand how could a mother ruin so much for her own son, the one she claimed to love the most. How could she see Abir struggling each day for survival and still be immune to his sufferings? Something inside her told her, she wasn't the one to question it, for her own mother had left her at someone's mercy and made a home for herself. She was just lucky to find Bade Papa and Badi Maa. Wiping her eyes dry, Mishti went inside, hoping the outdoor meet would give her sometime to talk it out with Abir.

--------

Kuhu was jogging the perimeter around her house when she saw Abir sitting outside the tea stall. She frowned, because it was quite far from the Rajvansh house. Slowing down, she stopped right in front of Abir and tapped on his shoulder.

"Bro?", her voice held confusion.

"Kuhu?", Abir forced a smile. He wasn't expecting her, he was expecting a glimpse of Mishti around, if he was lucky enough.

"What are you doing here?", Kuhu asked, still confused and Abir shrugged, trying to be non chalant about it.

"Just some tea. Come sit", Abir offered, and because it was already very awkward between them, Kuhu didn't deny and settled down.

"Kuhu, I know we have been distant since mine and Mishti's engagement broke, and you can hate me for that all you want-", Abir's words were cut off by Kuhu's shake of head and a sigh.

"I don't hate you bro, I can't. When you didn't let the equation between me and Kunal ruin our bond, I won't let the situation between you and Mishti ruin ours too", she smiled, and looked up at him, before continuing, "but at the same time, I can't help but warn you. Mishti isn't necessarily my favourite person in the world, but I have seen her break down in front of my eyes. With her, I have seen my grandparents suffer, my family suffer. So even though what's happened has happened, I would like if you maintain your distance from her and my family. We are still bros, we will Always be, but I won't let you break Mishti or my family yet again".