|16|Priorities

Ketki sighed and looked away from Nishant's gaze for he just wouldn't tear his eyes away and she just wouldn't meet them. The last few days had been nothing short of a living hell for Ketki and she had found no one who would talk to her or hear her out, except Nishant, who was the only one who had reached out to her too asking 'How are you holding up?'. Everyone else was either too busy in their own plight, or didn't think her feelings mattered too.

"You have to talk Ketki, we can't sit here forever", Nishant smiled softly, leaning ahead, resting his elbows on the table of the cafe they were sitting in.

"I wish I could sit here forever though", Ketki answered, exhaling deeply, "better than going back to the hell hole I call home", her expressions turned bitter as she recalled last evening and Abir's outburst. Vocal or not, she loved her brother to death and watching him whimpering in pain so bad had shaken her from within. Her family's wrongdoings towards herself hasn't made her hold grudges against them, but Abir's plight had made her do that.

"Ketki", Nishant smiled softly, "Everything would be okay, you just have to hold on!", He tried to pacify her but Ketki narrowed her eyes to slits.

"Seriously? It would? Even after everything that happened?", She counter asked, a little annoyed but desperately wanting to hold on to any silver lining Nishant could offer.

"Especially after everything that happened. Mishti and Abir found each other again, didn't they? The rest can be managed if they are together", he smiled again, nodding in assurance. Something about his tone made Ketki want to believe him, so she did.

Maybe he was right after all.

--------

Kuhu concentrated on her diet coke and avoided looking into Kunal's eyes who was sitting across her in thar dimly lit cafe, dressed in his usual three piece suit but a look of discomfort etched all over his face.

Now if you know Kunal you know he wasn't really a man of words. He wasn't a great conversationalist either, except for his board meetings and with his Bhai, and he was absolutely not comfortable talking about his feelings. But right now, he was bound to do all three for Kuhu didn't look like she wanted to speak.

"Kuhu", Kunal finally prompted making her look up, "Atleast look at me", he requested.

"Why? So you can again break my heart?", Kuhu scoffed, making him sigh.

"You really think we are meant to be? You really do love me Kuhu?", Kunal asked this time, looking deep into her eyes. His penetrating gaze made her shiver.

"Ofcourse I-", she started and stopped when Kunal gave her a pointed look. Then she sighed and tore away her gaze, trying to hold back her tears. The look on her face made Kunal feel guiltier, after all he had used her as a pawn in the game his mother had played.

"Kuhu? Remember the first time you saw me? Did you see me first or the red sports car?", Kunal asked in a light tone making Kuhu sniff and smile.

"The red sports car", she answered, her mind travelling down the memory lane to that day in Kachh.

"And before meeting me, whenever you thought about the love of your life, how was he supposed to be?", Kunal asked again, this time making her ponder.

"He-", Kuhu paused to think and then smiled, "he was supposed to take me shopping and enjoy with me. Hashtag together. He was supposed to go movies me with me, and make me feel special and wanted. He was supposed to look at me like I was the centre of his Universe and never make me feel insecure like Mishti does", Kuhu answered and it made Kunal shake his head at her.