bigger fish to fry

Declan

"When do you not have your head up your ass?" Bennett asked Jordan while rolling his eyes.

Naomi was swimming away from our reach to go back to the beach and read.

I watched her slip out the water, her legs were lengthy and strong.

She had the slightest curves and her wet hair was tangled, lightly slapping her back when she bounced.

It stung me that everyone was able to see her beautiful figure in that bathing suit.. it wasn't reserved for only me.

"That's the thing," I turned back to my friends, "Jordan just doesn't have any common sense."

I splashed the idiot who was mocking me.

"But I do have pretty great street smarts," Jordan sombered his tone.

"Right. You said you discovered some new info?" Bennett crossed his arms under the water.

"I've been collecting some data and there has been a shoot up in crimes again, innercity," Jordan seriously informed us.

"Last time I got an update from the Ursa Majors," I told the little info I knew, "Kyler said his men were getting jumped everywhere. From subways to in the mall, uncontrolled."

Simon Kyler. A hopeless man in his mid forties with no future outside of the gang life.

When we first roped in his group they were crawling with addicts and dealers.

But under our force, we were able to clean them up and whip them into better shape.

All except Simon. He was too far gone, but still a necessary part to the operations of our gangs' relationship.

"Nothing is confirmed yet, but there was discussion of another uprising. Either that or someone recently replace Nicotine and is trying to change the balance," Bennett explained.

"Change the balance of what? Money? Power?-" Jordan questioned.

"No. Territory," I assumed.

With territory comes the money and the power.

Control.

I can't wait til this is all over.

"Exactly," Bennett agreed to my answer.

"And I was telling Declan earlier, while you were asleep in the car Jordan, that we have to keep this all underwraps. Our gang network is fragile right now. And I know the three of us are still shaken up by what happened three months ago."

I could only shudder at the thought of that night.

Adrenaline flooded my brain, overriding any other ability to think properly.

"Just think, if we're still unsettled by that, imagine the scarring effect it had on Naomi," Bennett explained.

"She didn't even seemed fazed by it though, that night. I mean she shouted at you Bent for trying to protect her from this life," Jordan did make a point though.

"Trust me. I hear the late night whimpers, even though she puts on a brave face during the day," Bennett look out towards the horizon, hands lightly skimming over the water.

"So what do you want us to do Capt'n?" Jordan started to swim in circles around us.

"He just wants us to filter out the bad things when talking to her. She doesn't need any more worry on her plate than necessary," I dived into the water by doing a back bend.