Day Before

~Suzanna POV~

I sat there, waiting for any reaction from anyone in the room besides Demmi's sniffles. The old man had listened to what I told him, about the dark man (or what I was hoping was a man) and how my parents still hadn't returned from where ever they had left to. The old man and his wife were still discussing what to do behind the closed office doors. I heard Kendra continue to comfort my sister. Then the office door opened.

The old man came out with his wife and seemed very solemn and angry.

"You shouldn't be here. Especially the night before the summer solstice," he said, pacing the room. "It's too soon. Too dangerous." Kendra said something about the summer solstice, but only said it was supposed to be dangerous. I didn't think it would be that dangerous.

"W-What's so scary about the longest day of the year?" I heard Demmi sniffle. I saw the family give each other concerned looks. I looked at Kendra, her fear seemed to rub off onto me. She looked at me with pleading eyes. But why?

"It... It would be best if you just... saw," the old man said, pulling out a bottle of milk. I already saw the creatures, I knew the secrets here thanks to Kendra. I looked at her. Now her silent pleads made sense.

I watched as the old man poured two glasses of milk. One for me, and one for Demmi. I didn't know how Demmi would react, she didn't seem to want to believe me earlier, but she is clearly interested in this kind of stuff. I took a sip, the less extreme flash of light made me blink. I looked outside and saw the beautiful glow of the fairies. I smiled at Kendra, who hesitantly smiled back at me. I heard the shattering of a glass and Demmi scream. She stood up and pushed herself away from Kendra.

"You need to calm down," I said panicked, I didn't know what to do, it was usually Mom or Dad who calmed her down when she was too stressed to think properly. She didn't want to listen to me.

"No! I won't calm down! Where's Mom and Dad!!" she shrieked, backing into the corner of the living room. She was terrified and I saw the tears beginning to form again.

"We don't know where they are dear," said the old mans wife, she had a similar tone to Mom's when she would calm us down when we were young. It seemed to work for Demmi. I saw her stare and the woman for a moment longer before wiping her tears. That was the Demmi I knew, putting on a brave face.

"Ok..." she mumbled softly. "Are those real fairies?"

~Demmi POV~

I watched as Dale, someone who helped the old man here, bring in barrels of pumpkins onto the path in front of the greenhouse, then go into the woods with Seth following close behind. I sat behind the railings of the porch and watched the fluttering of fairies around the pumpkins and flowers. My favorite currently was a pretty fairy with a yellow dress and orange butterfly wings. She was more noticeable I guess. Suzanna was in the greenhouse with Kendra, getting pumpkins for tonight.

Mid-Summers Eve is what they called it. The time where the creatures of this preserve had no rules against them. They would enter and destroy as they pleased. I was not ready for this night. I tried ignoring the gnawing fear in the pit of my stomach by looking for the good magical things of this preserve, so far it's working.

I stood up and began walking to the pile of pumpkins, taking my time to take in all of the magic around me. As I neared the greenhouse, I heard a faint rumble coming from the forest. I paused, waiting for some demon or evil creature to jump out of the tree line. Then I saw Dale and Seth emerge from the woods. And then a stony mass. I didn't know what this thing was, I was barley able to keep myself from screaming. So I stood there dumbly.

I watched as Dale walked into the Greenhouse.

"He won't hurt you," said a voice. It was Seth, the boy I met by the beautiful pond. I wondered if he remembered. "He just listens to commands," continued Seth. I nodded slowly taking in the monster with a different mindset. He seemed like he would follow commands, but who's to say he wouldn't. I heard a shriek and saw Kendra, Suzanna following from behind.

"What is it?" questioned Kendra. Staring at the scary looking contraption in the creatures hand.

"It's Hugo!" cried Seth, smiling at his sister. "He can follow commands. Can't he Dale, let me show them!" He ran inside the greenhouse.

"He's a Golem, and yes, he follows commands, he does most of the labor work here," said Dale. I had never seen a golem, well, I think most people haven't seen a golem, but I haven't even seen one during my "research." Dale watched Seth came back with a giant pumpkin. "Hugo, follow Seth's next command." He looked at Seth.

"Hugo, see how far you can throw this pumpkin," commanded Seth. The giant golem picked up the pumpkin (it looked incredibly small in his hand) and threw it. I saw a small flash of orange reach the sky and then slowly fall back down, landing maybe miles away from where we were. Seth cheered while Dale simply whistled.

"I bet he could throw it farther," I thought out loud. I looked at Seth, wondering if he thought so too. I saw his eyes light up.

"As much as I love watching your shenanigans, we need to quickly get these pumpkins ready for tonight." said Lena, a beautiful woman with seemingly asian features. She worked as a maid here, and seemed very nice. Nice but stern.

I followed Suzanna into the house, helping bring in pumpkins. I sat down at the counter and watched as Dale began to carve pumpkins and lightning speed. I soon got bored of this however, and walked to the living room. I sat on the couch and watched the woods slowly get darker and darker. I felt someone sit next to me.

"hey," Seth said softly.

"Hi," I mumbled, I didn't really want to talk with anyone. I just wanted my parents.

"Are you scared?" He said. Not sure how to act. He seemed scared.

"No," I shrugged, I watched as he grew more tense.

"Oh yeah. Neither am I." I smiled softly.

"But I am afraid..." I said. Thinking about being away from my parents during this. With all sorts of creatures getting ready to kill anything. I felt Seth relax.

"Oh..." he sighed, "Well, don't worry, I'll keep you safe." I laughed.

"Sure. You gonna pin me down and freak out for knocking me down?" I giggled. I saw him turn red but laugh as well.

"No," he said simply, smiling.

Soon everyone was spilling into the living room, the night was growing closer.

"I think it's time everyone retired to their rooms," said Stan, the old man who ran the place. Suzanna and I were staying in the extra guest room, but tonight we were going to sleep in the attic with Kendra and Seth. Something about children and extra safety.

I heard a blood curdling howl nearby. I tensed and looked at Suzanna, she seemed equally terrified. Everyone was silently listening.

"They're entering the yard."