Chickens and Witches

~Demmi POV~

I sat near the dining room window, finishing the second sandwich Kendra had made for me. Seth sat on the floor and Kendra on the counter. Suzanna leaned against the counter near Kendra. Kendra sighed.

"I'm tired," she said, setting her half eaten sandwich down. I nodded.

"Me too," replied Seth, rubbing his eyes. "My eyes are itchy."

"My throat feels prickly," Kendra said, sitting up.

"My allergies are getting to me," complained Suzanna as she rubbed her nose. We were just complaining at this point. I stood up.

"Well.. we did just finish milking a giant cow, and before that we were running from an ogress, and before that we were following some random trail in the woods, and before that-"

"Alright Demmi we get it, we're tired," Suzanna interrupted. She was getting cranky. Obviously. I crossed my arms and glared at her.

"I was just going to say that before following the trail we were getting only 2 hours of sleep because of what happened last night." I felt the tension in the room rise. Last night was an absolute nightmare. I took a glance at Seth who had stopped eating his sandwich and stared at his shoes. He was ashamed. I mentally kicked myself and sighed.

"What are we going to do..." Kendra thought aloud.

"There's not a lot we can do... especially when we're tired," sighed Suzanna, "which is why we should probably get to bed..." We all nodded and headed our way upstairs.

The bedroom was still a mess, all except the beds and sleeping bags within the faint circle of salt. Goldilocks the chicken was clucking intensely about her feed. I collapsed onto my knees near the head of the sleeping bag, feeling bruises beginning to form.

"Those goat dudes... they were pretty funny. Even if they were total jerks," said Seth, walking to the bed.

"They're called Satyrs," Suzanna said, crawling into her sleeping bag.

"Well still," Seth said, "I need to find some C batteries, then I can get some of their gold!" exclaimed Seth. Kendra sighed.

"I don't trust them enough," she explained as she collapsed onto the bed.

"I could become a millionaire," argued Seth placing his hands on his hips.

"Or be the biggest fool of all," replied Suzanna tiredly, "maybe by gold they meant Fool's Gold."

I smiled, Seth receiving gold only to be fooled into receiving pyrite. I closed my eyes and expected to have sleep immediately come, instead I heard nothing but the chicken's clucking.

"What is Goldilocks upset about," Kendra groaned.

"She's probably upset about her cage," Seth said, walking over to the chicken. "Uh... Kendra? You might want to come see this."

"Later," she replied. I sat up to see what Seth was talking about. The chicken feed seemed to make a pattern.

"No you need to see this now," said Seth, staring at the pattern. Suzanna tiredly sat up as Kendra got out of bed. I stood up and walked to what the pattern was.

I AM

GRAM

I shook my head and looked at Seth. He looked at me and then at Kendra, who was staring at the ground in front of us.

"You're joking Seth, did you write this?" She exclaimed, looking accusingly at her brother.

"No! Of course I didn't!" he defended. Suzanna had finally gotten up and had walked over, she stared at the message, puzzled.