3. Get The Hint

The bell rang after English and I exited the building. I'm sat on the stairs outside waiting for my brothers to let them know i'll be cycling home when I feel a presence beside me.

"Hey"

It's Leo. This dude doesn't get the hint. "Mmm" I acknowledge his presence but I make sure that I'm not friendly hoping he'll het the message.

"Where are your brothers?" He pries.

Oh someone get me out of here! Why can't he leave me alone? However curiosity gets the better of me.

"Why?"

"They're supposed to meet me here, they said they'd show me around town" he answers. Seems he's already been recruited into the "popular" crowd.

I see an opportunity to leave, and I'm gonna take it! "Oh really? Well can you tell them I'm cycling home then? Thanks!"

I then speed off ignoring his objections. Time to go home, eat lots of food, cry at Netflix, cry at my homework then pass out. Finally i'd get some peace at home. My brain had been on overdrive all day and this bike ride was pretty relaxing, and i became more observant, noticing how the weather was getting colder in autumn, the leaves becoming orange and new swing set in the park.

Reaching the cafe, I get off my bike and head inside. Business was a little bit busier than usual.

"Ophelia can you refill some coffees!" Dad ordered.

"Sure thing"

"Oh and can you turn off the oven timer? And refill the dishwasher?"

...looks like Netflix will have to wait. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping out, but sometimes i wish i could just come home to your American dream nuclear family. However i know that wouldn't work out and it wouldn't be the same. I give my dad a quick hug and then get started.

- - - - -

I let out a groan. I've been hunched over my desk for and hour trying to figure out the homework after helping out in the cafe a bit. Standing up, i stretch and decide to go get a snack.

"Ophelia! Did you see my skateboard?" Gabe demands as soon as he sees me.

"Well hello to you too"

He gives me and unamused blank stare.

"No"

Gabe then stomps off towards the stairs on a search. Jeez. Out of all of us he's definitely the grumpiest. I assume that the others must be back too, they better have the snacks they promised.

I head into the cafe and spot them right away. I however did not expect to see Leo still with them. I've only met this guy today and I've already sick of seeing him. Deciding to ignore him, i head on over there anyway.

"Oi! You got the goods?"

"Yes m'am" Jasper answers pointing to a bag on the counter.

Once again my mouth waters thinking of the snacks and I grin shuffling towards it. I take a look inside and i'm met with pure heaven. God bless whoever thought of chocolate peanuts. I grab the bag and sit down beside Gray.

"So what's up?" I inquire throwing a peanut into my mouth.

"We took Leo around town to the mall, the forest, the skate park. What have you been up to?"

I recall the last hour of hell and simply respond with "homework". A shiver is sent down my spine at the thought.

"Do you know Leo has a motorbike?!" Jasper exclaims.

I awkwardly smile and shake my head.

"It's so cool, it's shiny and black and it has these flames on it-" Jasper continues.

"It's really not that amazing" Leo says sheepishly scratching his neck.

Oh really? This guy acts like a jerk in front of me and then acts humble in front of my brothers. Him scratching his neck however has brought my attention to a tattoo that he has on his neck. It reads "Devil doesn't sleep".

The conversation continues, Jasper shared more unnecessary information about our family with Leo (It seems to be a habit of his) and Leo told us about New Jersey and touched a little bit on the subject of why he is here in Maine. Turns out it wasn't anything to do with combine harvesters or fires but because his parents' career caused them to relocate. They're both surgeons.

By the time Leo left it was 7:30 and Dad was making dinner. We always have dinner a little bit later because of the time we close the cafe. I was absolutely drained of energy and if I didn't get food soon i'd be sleeping on the table.

Dad and Jasper were cooking while me and the twins were at the table, they were on their phones and i was just in my own thoughts. Why are all shampoos scented? You never find a shampoo that is scentless. How did Beetle juice die in the first place? Before i could get into any deeper thoughts Gabe interrupts them.

"Knock knock" Gabe says giddily.

"Seriously? Who's there?"

"Tank"

"Tank who?" I ask.

"You're welcome"

"That's it? You're such a child" I laugh.

Gabe huffs and stares back at his phone.

"Drama queen" I mutter.

"Idiot"

"Go polish your crocs"

"Go polish your face" He sassed.

"Learn to take a joke" i say hoping to end this.

"Learn to make one" ...not gonna lie, that was a good comeback.

I bit my tongue, stick my hand out and he shakes it. "Well played" i admit.

"Guys check out this new song i've found!" Gray chimes in.

"It's called get on your feet" he says as he begins to play it.

Suddenly dad appears at the door, plates in hand, dancing along and grinning. "I love this song!"

We all laugh at his goofy moves but soon enough he has us all up and on our feet dancing. These are the moments I love and anyone looking in on our madness could see the complete happiness in our hearts.