12. Chewbacca

"Grr, look who's back from the dead!" Jasper growls, walking into my room dressed as a zombie.

It's Halloween, and the day of the party that I stupidly vowed to go to. I'd rather go to the dentist than this party right now and I absolutely despise the dentist. Despite how much I'd rather just lay in bed and continue watching Stranger Things for the fourth time, my pride won't let me. Gray then peaks his head into my door, looks at Jasper and burst out laughing.

"Just because it's a Halloween party doesn't mean it's a costume party"

"Wait, what?!" Jasper cries.

"Don't embarrass yourself" Gray calls as he continues down the hall.

With a defeated sigh, Jasper leaves my room with sunken shoulders. Yesterday's dinner wasn't actually too bad minus the few lumps in the mash potato. Baseball was the main focus of the conversation, turns out Leo was on his school's team back in New Jersey. Regardless of Leo's "bad boy" image of tattoos, motorbikes and Casanova personality, he doesn't seem all that intimidating. Yet I don't believe that he's just perfectly normal, there's got to be more to him.

"Ouch!" I yelp.

I've been lost so deep in thought I nipped myself on a clothes hanger. I haven't even been paying attention to the clothes I've been flipping through. What do people wear at high school parties? I don't think my wardrobe has much variation, at least not enough where I can transform from an artsy, vintage mom to a baddie, chic model. Continuing to rummage further, I find a champagne coloured satin dress. It's not exactly my style but it's still cute.

Slipping the dress on, it reaches mid thigh. Next I curl the ends of my hair and apply some concealer, mascara and lip tint. I'm not a big fan of makeup but I decide to add some highlight too. I take a look at myself in the mirror and I must admit, I look pretty. I'm not comfortable with how much skin I'm showing though so I slip on a cropped white denim jacket. I literally don't own any fancy heels so I just grab my white Nikes and my phone then head downstairs.

Entering the cafe, I then bend to tie my shoes however Leo is already knelt in front of me, focused on my laces. Of course me being the weirdo that I am get an urge to touch his curls. I resist it though for my own sake. He's wearing black jeans, a blue denim jacket, vans, a plain shirt and some chains. Leo rises to his full 6ft something height again and looks down at me.

"You don't look like yourself" he mentions with a tilted head.

"I'm wearing contact lenses" I explain.

"But I like your glasses" Leo pouts.

"Psh" I say in disbelief.

I head to fill some coffee cups before I leave and as I turn away from Leo I can swear I hear him whisper something under his breath. 'It's not just core classes I like'? What is he talking about? I fill a few cups and then Gabe stumbles into the cafe.

"Let's go Bieber Baguettes!" Gabe hails excitedly.

"What are you wearing!?" Gabe gasps once he sees me.

"It's not that bad, it'd be worse if I ditched the jacket." I attempt to reason.

The look on Gabe's face tells me he isn't happy about it but he won't try to convince me to change. Gray and Jasper then enter the cafe and the same conversation repeats itself. I bet they would rather have me attend dressed as chewbacca. Soon enough however, we're all making our way to the car and Leo gets on his motorcycle. Dim streetlights are illuminating the street due the dark autumn evenings and the air is pretty chilly. I love autumn though.
———————————————

We pull up nearby the house and the music can be heard from our distance. This part of town is where rich lawyers, CEO's and specialists live. It's quite private and secluded. The neighbours must not care about the constant parties, probably because they'd be hypocrites as they let their trust fund kids do the exact same thing.

Nearing the house, it's your typical crazy high school party, red solo cups, disco lights, thumping music and many drunk underage teens. I'm starting to really regret coming. Why did I say I'd have more fun than anyone else. Maybe I can just hide in the bathroom or chill outside. Damn, I really should've brought a portable charger.

"C'mon Peanut" Leo said assuringly.

My so-called brothers abandoned me already and rushed inside. Leo places his hand on the back of my waist guiding me forward. I don't know when I got so cold but Leo's hand seemed to radiate heat on my lower back. What is this guy? The human torch from fantastic 4? Making our way inside the scene is exactly as I imagined. Guys dancing with girls, girls dancing in groups, a mini bar flooded with alcohol. I already want to leave, it's too crowded.

"Do you want anything to drink?!" Leo asks loudly over the music.

I've never had alcohol in my life and I don't plan on drinking it any time soon. From my experience, it brings out the worst in people, especially the devil woman who calls herself my Mother. Anytime she had alcohol she would start arguments and threaten to walk out on us... and then she did. I promised myself I'd never be like her.

With that in mind I shake my head at Leo.

"I'm gonna go find Jasper, coming?"

I have a feeling my brothers will be up to no good and I'd rather not witness that so I shake my head once again. I watch Leo disappear into the crowd and take in my surroundings. To get outside I'd need to try squeeze past more drunk teens. Deciding that sitting on the stairs may be the safest option, I make my way to the top step where it's a little quieter. It's only 10:30 how's everyone drunk already. Some people are probably high too. I pull out my phone and prepare for the next 3 hours.