17. Cow's Bosom Milk

The school cafeteria, my least favourite place in the entirety of this town. Millshore may be a small town but it sure as hell ain't quiet. Drama thrives in places like our school canteen. That's one of the reasons, I have plenty more to complain about. It promotes a hierarchy of popularity, the florescent white lights that burn my eyeballs, the awkward school slogan painted on the wall- 'Unlocking dreams and aiming for excellence.'

I dodge people as I make my way to the lunch line. I regret my decision to come here as I see what they're serving. Beef casserole? No thanks, cheese pasta? Definitely not. I see a salad so I grab that and pay for it. No offence to the chefs, but I don't trust those meals.

I step away and analyse the cafeteria. Now where's the curly haired troublemaker who convinced me to come here?

"Hey Ophelia, I thought you ate lunch in the art room?" Jess asks approaching me.

"Uh yeah, someone asked me to have lunch with them" I confess, scratching the back of my neck.

"Oh la la" Jess laughs.

"It's not like that!" I try to explain flustered.

Jess gives me a knowing grin. Oh what's the use? I'm probably as red as a baboon's bum already. Hiding feelings is a tough job. I've got to channel my inner squidward. Pretend I don't like anyone.

"Peanut? You really came?"

Oh squidballs, did I really just get butterflies? Jess' smile only widens.

"Well I better get going, my friends are waiting." Jess excuses herself.

"A salad? Really?" Leo asks.

"Don't judge my lettuce when you're eating cheese, literal cow bosom milk" I defend.

"Touché"

We arrive at the table where my brothers, Sam Anderson, Bella, Shanice and Tiffany are sat. Yeah, these are the type of people my brothers are friends with. I didn't tell them about Shanice confronting me in the changing rooms because drama just isn't my thing. Shanice and Tiffany are just popularity hungry devils, Sam's only personality trait is being a party animal. Lastly his girlfriend Bella is actually pretty decent but seems to be a bit of a pushover. She always runs back to Sam no matter how many times he's cheated on her (or at least that's what I've heard.)

And these are the people I'm spending my lunch with... give me strength. As I take a seat Shanice and Tiffany instantly force a smile. I don't return it, I keep my face neutral and sit beside Leo.

"Why're you here?" Jasper blurts.

Gabe elbows him in the ribs and Gray then asks, "I think he means why are you sitting with us when you usually eat in the art room?"

Tiffany sniggers and I can hear her whisper to Shanice, "That's so pathetic."

I assume Leo also heard her because he reveals, " I asked her to."

That shuts them up, in fact it shuts everyone up. I stomp on Leo's foot under the table as a warning. Gray, Gabe and Jasper all share the exact same expression of confusion and skepticism. I dig into my salad hoping to steer the attention away from me. It works as soon enough a new conversation begins about the baseball game on Friday.

"Here." Leo mumbles, sliding a carton of chocolate milk toward me.

"Mmm cow bosom milk, my favourite." I say, ignoring my rapid beating heart.

Leo chuckles, shaking his head.

"Hey Leo, why don't you join the baseball team? Tryouts were in September but I'm sure coach will let you join after hearing you were captain back in New Jersey" Jasper asks.

"You were captain? Wow, you must be really good! Maybe you could teach me sometime" Tiffany interrupts, desperation practically emanating from her.

"Um sure, I'll talk to the coach after school" Leo says completely ignoring Tiffany.

I have to admit, I did find that kind of funny. I wasn't jealous or anything, at least I was trying not to be. I don't own Leo, we're just friends. He's free to like whoever he wants.

I take the last bite of my salad but almost spit it out when I see Sam and Bella with their tongues down each other's throat... Add that to the list of why I hate the cafeteria. I'm never coming back here again unless Beyoncé is performing in here. I take that as my cue to leave, I put my rubbish in the bin, and head to the art room. Peace at last, but not for long, classes start again in 10 minutes.

I switch on the radio to the 80s station. I pull out my painting I've been working on from the drying rack. I can't help but shake my hips a bit to the music as I examine my artwork. I grab the white paint and begin adding highlights to the tiger, foot tapping and head nodding to the beat.

"Nice moves Peanut."

"Why thank you, I'll receive compliments wherever I get them." I say.

" You dance like my Dad." He admits.

With my eyes still focused on my painting I smile, "Your Dad is clearly very talented then."

Leo takes a seat as the bell rings and within 5 minutes the class has began, art is a very liberal class, we just do what we want as long as it's related to art, our teacher is very... spiritual? She's all about peace and love. I respect that, however it leads to everyone getting a B or above even when they put no effort in.

Sometimes I just wish I'd get more recognition for how much work I put into my studies. Especially around exam season, I'm in the library everyday for hours. It pays off in the end but it always reminds me that I have no idea which direction I want to take my life.

"Hey Leo" I grab his attention.

He slowly spins his head to me with a creepy smile. Red paint is layered on his mouth like the joker.

"Hi Ophelia" He croaks in an eerie voice.

"Stop that" I laugh.

His expression breaks into a smile, "What's up?"

"What do plan to do with your life?"

"Sheesh Peanut, what a way to spring that on someone." Leo says taken aback.

"Sorry." I apologise sheepishly.

"I don't know, I guess I wanna work with animals."

"Psh, the animal racist wants to work with animals." I joke.

"Hey! I am not an animal racist!"

"Whatever you say cat hater"