2

Lunch time rolled around, Ella met up with Ricky and Big Red at the table they sat at for the last 2 years. "Dude are you seeing this?" Red asked. "I'm seeing it, I'm hearing it, I'm hating it." Ricky grunted, ignoring the fact that Ella took a chicken tender off his plate.

"I can't believe it. She's dating Ej Caswell." Ella pinched the bridge of her nose. She loved Big Red, but sometimes the boy just doesn't know when to stop talking.

"Yes. I have eyes." Ricky said, clearly annoyed he was even talking about it to begin with. "I mean, co-captain of the water polo team." "Yep." "Senior class treasurer." "That's correct"

"You know what Red maybe you should stop-" "I mean, what are the odds that the guy she hooks up with at camp goes to East high?" "Apparently the odds are exceptionally good." Ricky bursted out. Ella rested her chin in the palm of her hand as she poked at the pasta on her plate.

"Sorry dude, what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know. No offense, but the one person I go to for advice is currently on her honeymoon in the cafeteria." Ella felt a sudden feeling of pain in her heart. Her mood instantly dropped as she put her fork down on the tray.

Picking up her backpack and her tray, she muttered out "I'll see you guys later." Before throwing her trash away and walking away. Ricky immediately felt dumb for saying that in front of her. Ella knows he's just frustrated with everything going on, but she couldn't help but feel like a ghost to him whenever he talked about Nini.

_______________________________

The next day

The final bell rang, signaling the day was over and auditions were about to start. Ella nervously walked to the auditorium to see Nini shaking her hands out in front of her. "Nini!" Ella smiled bright at the girl who looked like she was about to throw up.

"Ella! oh thank god! Woah, wait Ella you're auditioning?" Nini asked, she suddenly got a light British accent as she spoke. "Yeah I thought I'd audition for Kelsi! Also take a deep breathe, you're getting that accent again."

"People! Make sure your audition number is clearly visible on your clothes. This isn't a game!" Carlos yelled as everyone chattered over him. Ella pinned the number 17 onto her shirt as she stood to the side as the dancers did their thing.

Nini had her jaw open in amazement; watching as all the dancers showed off what they had, especially number one. The song ended as Carlos applauded them. "Great! that was it for the warm up!"

"That was the warmup?" Nini asked as she faced the two. "I got asthma watching that." Ella mumbled to the couple. Just because Ricky doesn't like them together doesn't mean Ella can't be friends with them.

"Everyone pair up! Not with a friend, theater is a community." Ms. Jenn announced. A girl with red hair and a beautiful smile walked up to Ella, "Hi I'm Ashlyn!" Ella stuck her hand out for Ashlyn to shake.

"I'm Ella!"

"What role are you auditioning for?" Ashlyn asked, "I'll go for any role but I was hoping for Kelsi, I've written a few songs so I hope that helps. What about you?" "Whatever they're willing to give me! But I can definitely see you as a Kelsi!"

"You should definitely give me your number-" Ella was cut off by Ms. Jenn getting everyone's attention again. "I most definitely will." Ashlyn smiled at Ella as she stood next to her.

Everyone was lined up as Ms. Jenn and Carlos walked down, telling the students which parts they're auditioning for.

"You're probably a chad."

Ms. Jenn got to Ashlyn,"You. You're giving me uncommon depth. Ms. Darbus?" "I'm dying. I'm deceased. Yes." Ashlyn grinned.

Ms. Jenn got to Ella who was fidgeting with her thumbs. "I overheard you write your own songs." Ms. Jenn smirked at the student. "Yeah I do." "Instead of preforming the same song as everyone else would you be willing to preform your own song? Only 30 seconds of it."

Ella felt her heart drop, she wasn't sure because of good or bad nerves. "Yeah, of course." "I'll say Kelsi." Ms. Jenn gave Ella a wink who was quietly dying on the inside.

All she had to do was figure out which song she wanted to sing. She finally got her song, and she memorized the guitar chords so it would work out perfectly.
_______________________________