9

Ella stood next to Ashlyn and Big Red, watching everything go down between Nini and EJ. Ella was proud of Nini for standing up for herself and ending things with EJ. 

“Hey, is the door locked or something? Why can’t we get in?” Nini asked as everyone averted their glances away from the ex couple.

“Oh, Natalie Bagley’s missing her emotional-support hamster. He got loose. Carlos and Gina are helping her find her. Him. It.” 

After Ashlyn finished explaining there was a high pitched scream coming from inside. Everyone gasped, “I think they just found it.” Ella said.

The door swung open and Natalie walked away from the group.

“Is he dead?” Ashlyn questioned.

“No. Now she thinks he’s in her gym locker.” 

“But why the screaming?” Ella asked.

“That was me. She stepped on my toe.” Ella clamped her hand over her mouth to prevent her from laughing. “We’re ready to begin, people!”
Ella noticed Ricky wasn’t at rehearsals, she clicked onto his contact and sent him a message, ‘hey, everything okay? Call me if you need anything, I’ll just tell Ms. Jenn it was important or something. Love you, text or call me whenever you can.’

Ej and Nini shared a tension so thick you could cut it with a knife. Everyone awkwardly watched as they began to sing’ What I’ve Been Looking For’.

Ella anxiously bounced her leg waiting for Ricky to show up. Normally others would think he’s just running late, but Ricky would always text Ella letting her know what’s happening and when he would show up.

Ricky ran through the door, looking pale. “Sorry I’m late. My mom, she caught an earlier flight. Where are we?” He huffed out, looking like he was on the verge of tears. “Scene seven.” 

“Right. I don’t have it. Could I borrow…” Ricky was cut off by an aggravated drama teacher.

“You need your script, Ricky. And a pencil. It’s a blocking rehearsal.” 

“Can I borrow a pencil?” Ricky asked Nini, “You can share mine.” Ashlyn offered out.

“No actually he can’t. When you come to rehearsal, people you come prepared.”

Natalie walked in saying how she still couldn’t find her hamster. “Natalie, we feel your pain. But I was just explaining what a constructive rehearsal requires. Focus. And honestly, another day like this and I am showing up with my emotional support coyote.” 

“Ms. Jenn I know the scene.” Ricky rasped out.

“Would you wait for me in my office please?” Walking off the stage, he sent a glance towards Ella before walking out of the room.

“Wait are we done?” Ashlyn asked the question everyone was asking themselves.

“We are, Ms. Darbus. Take a note. This is what a frustrated drama teacher looks like. Go, scoot. Come back when you’re ready to be punctual, park your distractions at the door, and take the work in here seriously.”