18

Ella held her backpack close to her as she walked into the gymnasium she assumed would be empty, but had Miss. Jenn and Ricky. “Oh, I’m sorry.” Ella apologized as she approached the two.

“Opening night jitters?” Ricky joked, shoving his hands in his pockets. Ella laughed quietly as she nodded her head. 

“Listen I’m gonna run. I’ll see you in a couple hours for pre-game. Just take a second, both of you, and soak in the stillness.” Miss Jenn patted their shoulders as she walked out of the gymnasium.

Ella and Ricky looked at each other and before they could speak a sandbag fell from above, hitting the ground with a loud thud. 

“Sorry!” “I think that was me.” Voices echoed from behind the curtains.

“Okay how many people are in here?” Ricky yelled out.

“Do you wanna…” Ella spoke, Ricky was shocked that she was talking to him.

“Yeah.”

Ella and Ricky walked into the hallway, facing towards each other, neither of them said anything for a moment. “I’m so sorry El. I don’t know what the hell was going on at that moment but I can promise you I don’t like Nini like that anymore.” Ricky begged, “You don’t have to forgive me, but I can’t just keep living my days without you. It doesn’t feel right. It’s like… it’s like i’m half a heart.” Ricky joked, referring to the cover she posted over the weekend.

“I missed you so much Rick,” Ella said, her eyes falling to the floor, “I just wish… I don’t know. I’m always gonna be here for you Ricky, I’ll always be your best friend whether we date or we don’t. This just felt like a really harsh slap to the face. And if you truly mean you’re over Nini, then we can give us another try.” Ella and Ricky came to the agreement.

Before Ricky could say anything else, Ella pulled him into a tight hug. Her arms wrapped around his neck, her one of her hands playing with his curls, the other clutching onto his jacket. Ricky's arms were around her waist, holding her so tight he was afraid if he let go, she would disappear into thin air.

“I missed you so much.” He mumbled into her neck.

_______________________________________

Ricky sat next to Ella on the piano bench, reviewing some of the notes to ‘The Start of Something New’. “We got mystery flowers people!” Carlos called out, placing the huge bouquet of flowers on a drum.

“Wow, those are massive.” Ej said as everyone eyed the flowers.

“Why mystery?” Red asked.

“There was no card, so I’m guessing it's the dealer's choice. “ Carlos said. 

“Speaking of, I have something I wanna give you- well more like show you whenever we can get back to my house. I’ve been working on it for a while.” Ricky said to her, making her furrow her eyebrows as she looked at him. 

Nini walked up to Ella and asked if they could talk in the hallway for a second. Ella agreed and followed the girl out of the costume room. “Listen, I just want to apologize for that day in El Rey. It was totally my fault I was the one who leaned in, he didn’t. I just- I don’t want you to be mad at him, or me, but if I had to pick I’d rather you be mad at me. Ricky really does care and like you and I think I was just jealous at how touchy you guys were.” Nini spoke as if she was saying one continuous sentence.