19

Ella sat in a chair in front of one of the makeup mirrors, fixing her hair and adjusting the fake glasses she had to wear to be Kelsi. (I know this is just thrown in there but for the sake of the story please just go with it). 

She was about to go on stage to perform the song she wrote, she had never felt more nervous in her life. She got the sudden urge to throw up at least four times. Jumping out of the chair, she shook her hands out in an attempt to get rid of the nerves. 

“Ella you’re gonna do amazing.” El turned her head to him, her eyes widened in surprise at the compliment.

“Oh wow- oh thank you Ej! Listen I know you’ve been doing this for like ever but do you have any advice for a first time performer? Literally anything at all-” Ej placed his hands on her shoulders. “Ella, just be you. If you have to just keep your eyes on the piano until you feel confident to look at the crowd. And trust me when you get over that fear, nothing can top that.”

Ella beamed at the senior, pulling him into a tight hug that he greatly accepted. “Thank you Ej.”

Miss Jenn called Ella out for her to be ready to walk onto the gym floor. “Show them what you got.” The teacher sent her a wink before Ella turned on the balls of her feet and walked onto the floor. The audience applauded as she sat down on the piano, her hands shook as she placed them on the keys.

Inhaling, she spotted Ricky at the end of the floor, giving her a thumbs up. Her fingers easily danced across the piano as she began to sing. 

Wake up and smell the coffee, is your cup half full or empty? When we talk, you say it softly, but I love it when you're awfully quiet. Hmm, hmm quiet. Hmm, hmm. You see a piece of paper could be a little greater, how me what you could make her. You'll never know until you try it. Hmm, hmm. And you don't have to keep it quiet, and I know it makes you nervous, but I promise you, it's worth it.”

Ricky watched from the side, he swears it felt like everytime she sang he fell more in love with her by the second. He grinned to himself as she finally stopped looking at the keys and made eye contact with the crowd. “That’s my girl.” Ricky whispered to himself. Carlos clamped a hand onto Ricky’s shoulder scaring him.

“Can I be the ring bearer at the wedding?” Carlos somewhat joked. Ricky rolled his eyes before his friend pulled him back so he could get changed for the next part of the musical.

To show 'em everything you kept inside, don't hide, don't hide. Too shy to say, but I hope you stay. Don't hide away, come out and play. Look up, out of your window, see snow, won't let it in though. Leave home, feel the wind blow 'cause it's colder here inside in silence. You don't have to keep it quiet, yeah, I know it makes you nervous, but I promise you, it's worth it. To show 'em everything you kept inside. Don't hide, don't hide, too shy to say but I hope you stay. Don't hide away, come out and play.” Ella stopped singing, letting the last few notes come out of the piano before the audience stood up and applauded the girl. Ella felt like she was about to burst into tears, she couldn’t tell if they were from happiness or nerves. 

Walking back into the costume room her friends bombarded her with compliments. “I feel like I’m gonna pass out.” Ella laughed even though she wasn’t joking. “That’s the adrenaline!” Ashlyn smiled, rubbing her shoulders reassuringly. 

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Miss Jenn called out to everyone in the room, “it is time for Stick to the Status Quo. This is our biggest Act One show stopper, and you’re all going to kill it because I love you. Any questions?”

Kourtney raised her hand, “I have a couple hundred.” The expression of fear written on her face.

“Wait how is the Taylor dance break gonna work?” Seb asked, “Gina’s tray-ography is really complex.”

“I can run to the pit and have the orchestra cut that part.” Carlos offered the idea.

“Or we could just have Gina do it!” Kourtney exclaimed, everyone whipping their heads to where the girl holding cupcakes stood.

“Gina!” Ella called out, nearly falling out of the chair to go hug her best friend. “Hi!” Gina smiled, hugging the girl tight in her arms.

Carlos pried Ella off of Gina, “sharing is caring.” Ella laughed as her mouth remained open. As soon as everyone was done talking to Gina, Ella reassured she was going to do amazing during her performance. Her heart felt happy to know she was about to kill it.

_____________________________________

Ella changed out of her recent costume and into her outfit for the curtain call since she was only in a few scenes. Seb ran into the costume room and grabbed onto Ella’s hand, pulling her out of the room. “Woah Seb what’s going on?” Ella asked as she was being dragged. Seb practically flung her into Ricky’s direction.

“Woah, woah Ricky what happened?” Ella asked, seeing nothing but anger and frustration in his eyes. Carlos and Seb left the two alone as Ella moved them to the side. “My mom’s new boyfriend decided to show up and I wanna punch a wall. I feel like I need a miracle to face Act Two.”

“Oh my- first Nini and now this.” Carlos stressed. “Woah wait what happened to Nini?” Ella asked, holding Ricky’s hand, rubbing her thumb across his knuckles to try to ease his anger. 

“She seemed nervous.” 

“Uh.. I thought I was doing a good thing, but I think it backfired. You see that lady with the clipboard out there? That’s the dean from the performing arts school she was looking at.” Kourtney explained herself.

“You invited her?” Ricky panted.

“Ricky, you look like you're shaking. Do you need to sit down?” Kourt asked.

“Actually, I do. Will you come with me?” Ricky whispered the last part to Ella who quickly nodded.

“Excuse us.” Ricky pushed through his friends as Ella walked by his side.

“I need to talk to Ej, just please stand out here for me.” Ricky panted before walking into the costume room.