Chapter 1

"Come on, man, this doesn't happen often. The boys are coming over this weekend. We haven't seen you in ages."

Bin was standing by the fence on the race track under the scorching heat of the afternoon sun. He didn't mind the heat at all because he was preoccupied by something else, or someone else, rather. A smile was plastered on his face as he watched the car make a turn, feeling so proud. He followed it with his eyes and watched in awe as it zoomed past him, the roaring of the engine not bothering him at all.

"Ah, the race track. Of course," said his friend over the phone. "Should I just hang up now?"

"What? Sorry, man. What did you say?"

"Bin, my man. I should've known," his friend teased.

"Wait, what? Sorry, I got distracted. What were you saying?"

Geon chuckled over the phone because he knew his friend too well. They've been friends for more than two decades since high school, so they also know very well that there's only one person who can distract Bin that way. "The group's hanging out at my place this weekend, feel free to bring a plus one. And, by plus one, I mean her."

Bin shook his head, his smile getting wider. "I'll let you know if we can make it."

"Alright, bro, I hope to see you then. Tell her I said 'hi'," Geon replied.

"Will do. Thanks, man," Bin said in response while never taking his eyes off the car.

"It's like I can see you smiling through the phone right now. Geez, man, I gotta hang up."

As the call ended, he shoved his phone back in his pocket and made his way to the gate. He watched as the race car slowed down before it came to complete stop not too far from where he stood. He walked to where her team was and his smile grew even bigger when their eyes met.

She slipped out of the car and immediately took her helmet off, followed by the shield. The wind blew her long brown hair as she frowned when the rays of sun hit her face. It was in the middle of the day when the sun was at its peak. Bin watched her interact with her crew before making her way towards him, noticing again how she looked so tiny and, at the same time, powerful standing by her race car.

"What are you smiling at? Am I that stunning in my gear that you're smiling at me like that?"

"Keep dreaming," he replied as he met her half way.

"Tss, why is it so hard for you to compliment me?" Ye-jin asked with a cute pout.

"What are you talking about? I compliment you all the time, maybe even too much," Bin said while putting his arm over her shoulder. The difference in their height was perfect which was why he often did the same gesture.

"That's coz you love me," she replied with a big grin while looking up at him, her eyes almost disappearing as she did.

"Again, keep dreaming," he said out loud while ruffling her hair with his palm. I do, he said in his mind.

"You really need to learn how to compliment girls and how to communicate with them. How are you supposed to pursue other girls?"

"Why don't you let me worry about getting myself a girlfriend and you worry about finding yourself a guy who can stand you?"

Ye-jin stopped walking and took a step away from him, giving Bin a death glare. "What are you doing here then, Hyun Bin?"

Bin smiled at her and put his arm over her shoulders once more. Because I'm that guy, he thought to himself.