Chapter One

Tomorrow was Y/n's first day of school. Again.... The only reason it wasn't her third first day of school, was because she just so happened to move to Wyoming last summer. Now she was in a whole new state, in a whole new town, surrounded by whole a new community of people. Not many new people, though.

Y/n had lived in smaller towns before, but not as small as this one. While her mother preferred the city life with hundreds of stores and thousands of people, her father seemed really content with the major downsize. He kept saying things like:

"Gosh, just smell that fresh, little mountain town air!"

Or-

"There'll hardly be any drama around these parts! Friendly faces everywhere! Humble folks without a hint of temptation. There's ample parking day and night. Wherever you go, there's just a bunch of happy people shouting 'howdy neighbor!'."

Drew seemed very happy about their fresh little start, but Diana loved to complain about it. She hated the snow in the middle of April, she hated the 'country hicks' that walked around their classy neighborhood, and most of all, she hated how small the town was in general.

"Where am I supposed to go shopping? The only store they have here is a Walmart!" She exclaimed as she vigorously mixed her organic, coconut-flour lemon cookie batter.

"Oh, honey, you can do most of your Coachella shopping online." He assured her. She wasn't exactly pleased, but she obliged.

Y/n's family tradition when moving into a new city was to greet their new neighbors. They lived in the rich neighborhood, she supposed. After all, their house was three times bigger than almost every other building in town. Her father rang the doorbell, and her mother held the lemon cookies as they all stood outside in their Sunday best. A little black boy eagerly opened the door wearing football padding and cleats.

"Hey, Stan, I'm ready, I just have to grab my-" The boy's lips sealed when his gaze shifted to the two fancy looking adults ahead of him. He looked right at the girl who stood between the two. Her hands folded nervously behind her back as he continued to stare.

"Hello, little boy! Are your parents home?" Diana chimed.

"Oh... uh... yeah, sorry. Hey Mo-o-om!" He ran back inside, letting the door close behind him. Diana sighed impatiently, and Drew quickly glanced at his watch. Y/n's eyes fell to her feet out of boredom. She kicked a few pebbles with her shiny black slippers. After a moment someone finally opened the door again, and her parents brought back their shiny, inviting faces.

"Hello!" The dark-skinned woman greeted them warmly, "I'm terribly sorry, I was just reading up in my study again." She said in a quirky tone, giggling as she widened the door.

"Oh, that's perfectly, fine! We're the Huckabee's! I'm Diana, this is my husband, Drew, and this is our daughter Y/n!" Her mother said, politely shaking her hand. She handed the plate of cookies to the woman.

"Oh, that's wonderful! Token, go take that off this instant." She told her son from under her breath.

"What? But Mom, you said I could-" He began.

"Now, Token. We have guests. You can play with your little friends later." She instructed. He groaned and ran up the stairs in his football gear.

"Please! Have a seat! You're all just in time for tea." She said, placing the cookies on her coffee table.

The pair of parents started talking about things like the neighborhood, and how investments were in town, and the different country clubs available, and a bunch of at her adult stuff neither Token or Y/n cared about. Y/n was silent, staring into the cup of tea in her hands, bored out of her mind. Token glared at the floor with his arms crossed, clearly not wanting to be there either.