Bad At Love

Ox woke up early the next morning, and lay in bed, thinking of Lou. He'd been worried that, as a prototype, Lou would have been in a cold, scary, lonely place, but instead, he had found his kid. Well, it was the twenty-first century, after all. Times were changing. But, Ox just couldn't feel happy for him like he knew he should.

He was proud of Lou, but he also knew the blond doll didn't know how to love. He also worried about what the big world might do to poor Lou. Having suffered endless months of torture and abuse form the other dolls had made him scared, self-hateful, and unable to trust anyone. Yet, he trusted these new toys. Ox worried that Lou might not survive long in the Big World in a state like that.

Sighing, Ox heaved himself out of bed. Lou had never received any love. Now, he was living with a girl who clearly loved him more than anything in the world. Ox could already tell they were perfect for each other. Lou and Winter were so alike. But, Ox wouldn't rest until he had straightened things out with his old friend. Lou needed to know that he was okay now, that he'd been punished more than he deserved. Ox just wanted Lou's forgiveness, even if he had to get past that no-nonsense bunny to get it.

Even though he knew it was a long shot, the rabbit-thing wandered to the supply shed, hoping to see Lou. Of course, the doll wasn't there, but Ox decided to stick around, and see if he could pick up anything that would tell him why Lou just did what he did. Ox searched the shed, and turned it inside out, finding small remnant of Lou everywhere; an abandoned cleaning cart, an apron that had seen better days, a few pictures. Ox blanched when he discovered pictures hidden under Lou's rock-hard mattress; pictures of him, and the uglydolls and the dolls who turned on him, all ripped to pieces. Ox found the remains of a picture he never thought he'd see again; a picture of him and Lou, sitting at a cafe table, laughing together.

Ox sat on the bed, sighing to himself. He wondered where that doll had gone. He knew Lou could be a good friend, but, without any love, Lou wouldn't get there. He needed help. And Ox wanted so badly to give Lou that love, now that he saw how much he needed it.

'How could I have ignored you?' Ox thought to himself miserably. 'How could I have never thought to give you a second chance?' Ox knew he had to talk to Lou and make things right.

He hopped off the bed with every intention of heading to Lou's house after breakfast, only to knock a pillow over and accidentally throw a notebook on the floor. It hit the wood floor with a thud, and fell open. Ox only spared it a glance, but it was enough.

'Sometimes I wonder if they're selfish or just stupid...' Ox paused, kneeling down to read more. He recognized Lou's handwriting.

'I wanted the same thing they did, but noooo, I had to be a prototype. I think it's fair that I should be in charge, since I can't really leave. It's better than being shoved to the dirt.

At least, I thought it was fair. I feel bad, but I still think it was even. They got to go to the Big World, and  got to be in charge. They wouldn't even have to deal with me for that long.

And now, I'm everybody's favorite joke. 'How do you get to the supply shed? Follow Lou!' Well, no one asks me if I think it's funny. And Ox, he just sits on his high horse, all happy because he's the mayor, not even giving me a second thought. If I wanted to apologize, I wouldn't be able too, because he holds such a grudge, like the rest of them.'

Ox felt guilt stir up in his chest. He really should have tried to help Lou, instead of letting the other dolls abuse him. He turned the page:

'I guess that's fair.' Ox's eyes widened. 'It's not like I have anything to live for, anyway. It was a bad idea. I'm a bad idea. I shouldn't even exist. I'm nothing but a villain. Maybe that's why I was never made for public consumption.' Ox felt his heart grow heavy. It was page after page of self-hate and anger, all these emotions spilled out onto paper and still haunting the atmosphere. Ox could almost feel the presence of Lou, angry and bitter at himself and the world, unable to do anything about it. Now, Ox felt worse.