Childhood Solutions

'Easter is a time for new beginnings. You can have a new beginning with your friend here, or you can leave.'

Lou glanced at Winter. She had gone to bed happy, and he felt her happiness. Ever since meeting her, he'd learned things he never though of before. Remembering Indigo's mention of confidence, Lou felt a surge of pride. He had given Winter confidence.

And Winter had given him something equally important: compassion.

Somehow, Winter had opened his eyes to being kind, even to his enemies. She could see good in Echo, Iris, Mallory and Kaylee. Lou wondered: could he see good in Matt?

He didn't know how she did it, but all Winter ever talked about was being kind.

Lou needed to settle some unrest, before stepping down as leader for good.

Ox paced back and forth in his house, full of thoughts. He knew Matt was forging letters, and he knew Lou would probably never want to see him again. All Ox wanted was to make things right...what had turned Matt into a worse doll than Lou?

He wanted to know what to do. He wanted to make things right with Lou, now that he knew how angry Lou was, at him and at himself.

Moxy burst through the door, startling him from his thoughts. "Ox! Lou's here!"

Ox's eye widened, and he charged out the door. Moxy grabbed his hand and dragged him through the streets, to wear Lou was walking with his head held high, parting through dolls like the Red Sea. His hands were tucked properly behind his back, and his posture was perfect. he looked like the Old Lou...except for one thing.

His smile. It was no longer a smile of malice and scheming. It was proud, sure, but it was also happy. Lou had never looked happy...

Lou strolled past the awe-struck Uglydolls, nodding his head at them. He continued walking, as if this were something he did everyday, but also something incredibly important. He meant business.

He came to a stop in front of Mandy and Uglydog. He raised his hand...and gestured for them to move aside.

Sharing a look, the perplexed dolls scooted to the side, revealing Matt and his friends. They were wrapped up in what seemed to be an amusing conversation. Lou approached them calmly, acting as if he were still the Head of Perfection, and not just another doll in the streets.

Matt turned, and his face turned smooth. "Look who finally decided to grace us with his presence. Winter finally throw you out?" Lou didn't respond, but he didn't back down either. He simply stood in front of them, tall and proud, calm as a thing. Matt didn't seem to notice. "Let me guess, you tried to create a cult with her other toys?" He and his friends laughed, but Lou simply raised an eyebrow, and let him bring in his kicks. His eyes were half-lidded, and he looked unimpressed.

Now Matt noticed. "Hey, what's wrong with you? Tongue-tied?" Usually, Lou was like this when being picked on, but his eyes were no longer lifeless. He held a rather bright light in them, and he didn't let up.

"Are you done?" Lou's calm voice echoed through the silent streets, as doll watched. Ox and Moxy shared a look of shock. This was an entirely different Lou. Confident and cool, like he used to be, but at the same time, different.

Matt's brows furrowed. "What do you mean? You think I'm finished?" he laughed. "Far from it."

Lou spoke in a calm, even tone. "I don't know why you're picking on me. But I will say, stop." The silence seemed to echo through the streets with the word, shocking all the dolls. Matt blinked, one eyebrow heading north. Then he laughed. "You just tell me to stop?" Matt's buddies circled him, as if to  make Lou nervous by outnumbering him. Lou didn't seem fazed. "Yes. Matt, I want you to stop bullying me. Because, it isn't right for me to let you repeat my mistakes." The silence was pounding. Matt's eyes widened. Then, through clenched teeth, he hissed. "I'm nothing like you."

Lou raised an eyebrow. "Matt. You have bullied me ever since I became a janitor. At first, I believed I deserved it. But now, I know it has gone too far."

"How?"

"You're picking on my kid."

A gasp floated through the streets, followed by mumbling. Lou continued. "i know you've been the one writing those notes, not Ox. And that told me you were ready to use my friendship with Ox for your own gain. I don't know why you're treating me this way, but I say, stop. Not for me,but for my kid."

"How am I the one picking on your kid?"

"Because I know you belong to Mallory." Matt blinked. "So?"

"Mallory threw you away. And I had a child of my own. It burns you up knowing I have a child when you no longer do. And Mallory threw you away because she thought it was childish to hang onto her doll. So, you pick on me, and Winter, because we act childish. I'm not afraid to admit it." Matt glanced at Abby, Griff and Leon. They had the weakness to look remorseful?!

"Lou, I am going to tell you one more time-!"

"that I'm worthless? That I'm a mistake? Matt, I don't believe it. it would appear, that I am made for public consumption, despite my earlier assumptions." Lou's face turned serious. "Matt, stop bullying me. Stop bullying Winter. Now."

Matt's eyes widened. Ox suddenly knew he had to jump in, before it got violent.

"You heard him. Knock it off." Ox came up beside Lou. Mandy put a hand on Lou's shoulder. "Yeah. This isn't right, Matt." Lou smiled at them over his shoulder, before turning back to Matt. "I don't know why you decided to bully me, but I am telling you, stop. You are worse than I am, and if this is how you showed yourself with Mallory, I can see why she would want to get rid of you. You are selfish and thoughtless, and you nurse a deep grudge. I will not let you take that out on me, or my kids...or my friends."

Matt laughed.  "So, you think you can just-!"

"That's stale, Matt." Uglydog strolled up in front of Lou. "You can't accept the fact that you've been beaten?" Matt glanced around. They weren't the only dolls looking upset. Wage looked ready to kill. Babo was already rushing to his friend's aide. The Spy Girls strolled up, meaning business.

After a few minutes of silence were used to let Matt squirm, Lou turned to Kitty. "Take Matt to Ox's house. We'll deal with him later." The trio escorted Matt away, leaving the group of Uglies and Lou to themselves.

"Lou...that was incredible!" Ox smiled at him. "I'm proud of you."

"But...why?" Moxy looked confused.

Lou shrugged. "Ox, I was afraid that...if I rekindled my friendship with you, I'd regret it. I wanted to let go of the past, and start a new life. But, I thought that meant banishing you from my new life. I didn't want tot think about it anymore, because..." he started to choke a little. Mandy patted his shoulder. "You felt guilty?"

"...I think the only way we'll get past that is...by making a new beginning." Lou held out his hand, and Ox was more than happy to shake it. Then, he yanked Lou into a hug.

Winter walked dejectedly through the doorway. Echo, Iris, Mallory and Kaylee had read her a riot act during school that day. Everyone was calling her Crybaby, and she found rude pictures of her on the walls, complete with rumors. She had people asking her what her diaper-changing schedule was, and why she refused to grow up. It was driving her mad.

No matter what she did, they wouldn't stop.

Marching up to her room, she took a cardboard box, and started filling it with stuffed animals. Will-bear and Twinkle landed side-by-side in the box, and shared a worried look.

Winter continued to go through her bed, before noticing something on the floor by the window. Lou.

She picked him up, and looked into his eyes. Confidence, and compassion.

Why should she change her life just because some girls didn't like what she did?

Before they knew it, the toys were back in their usual place. Winter sat on the bed with Lou, and whispered a wish into his ear.

To Lou, it sounded pretty great.