A Doll Story: A Sick Beginning

Lou flopped a little in the high chair. He was sitting right where Winter had left him before she dashed out the door. Something about a hospital. Lou didn't know for sure.

He straightened up, finally certain no one was around, and fixed his hair. In Winter's mirror, he could see just the slightest smudge of lipstick on his face. That was gross.

He turned in the high chair to see Will-Bear and Twinkle playing some version of toy poker with some of the other toys. Lou hopped down, and went to the corner, where a small pile of teddy bears sat. A mint green one lifted it's paw, already knowing what Lou was going to do. "See you later, kiddo." Lou waved goodbye, and hopped through the portal.

Imperfection was thriving. A batch of new doll's was being toured around in a bus. He could see Moxy and Ox having breakfast for lunch at Wage's café. It was all beautiful.  Winter had taught Lou to appreciate these things. He felt happier than ever, 24/7.

He should've stepped through that portal a long time ago.

He strolled down the streets, headed for the nearest washroom. Invisible Ink wipes had been installed in every single one. He easily ridded himself of the lipstick smear, thankful he had gotten to it before it was too late.

The sun shone brightly. Lou glanced into the distance. it turned out, doll magic was one of the greatest gifts a kid could give their doll. Imagination Land was thriving. It was a place kids could only go to in their imaginations, and Lou had started it all, with Winter.

He felt thrilled. He knew dolls and humans alike had enjoyed it. It was brilliant, and he felt like he weighed lighter than air. H almost expected to start flying.

"Hey! There's the doll of the hour!" Lou chuckled, and hugged Ox back. "Hi Ox."

"You've got one special kid there, Lou." Ox waved a hand in the direction of Imaginationland, where Lou and Winter's amusement park stood tall. It looked different in every kid's imagination, but it was pretty much the same basic idea.

"You ad Winter are a perfect match." Moxy complimented. "You both have such big imaginations!"

"Thank you, Moxy." Lou was back to his old self, only better. He was suave and sweet, smooth and kind. It was incredible.

"Lou!"

"Hi, Lou!"

LOU waved to the passing new dolls. He had become a popular figure here. He helped Ox run the place. Everything was, well...perfect.

His back went ramrod straight. Winter was coming back. 

"Oop! Gotta run!" Lou bid his friends farewell, and rushed back through the portal. IN Winter's home, he could hear her footsteps slowly approaching. He climbed onto the windowsill, and leapt back into the highchair at the last possible second.

Winter opened the door just as he flopped down. She looked at her toys. Suddenly, they didn't hold that much interest anymore. She sat on he bed, and sighed. Lou's face filled with worry. This wasn't Winter.

The poor girl glanced out the window. The sun was shining. The sky was blue. There were all the perfect elements for a perfect day, but she ignored them. She couldn't focus on anything other than the news she had just been given.

She was sick. Really sick.

The kind of sick that would affect her body and her mind. The kind that would slam her into a hospital, mental or physical.

Lou felt himself being swept into her arms, and held her as she cried. His dear child was cold, freezing cold, and she was incoherent through her tears.

Lou needed to do something, but what? The best thing he could do was be there for her.

"Oh, Lou!' Winter wailed. "What am I gonna do?" Even if she made it through her physical sickness, she might end up in a child's mental health institute for whatever problems her mind accumulated. She couldn't think of anything worse.

Lou didn't know this. Not yet. But he wasn't giving up.

Everything always fell into place.

*Sorry this chapter is short.*