Chapter Four : Strange Behavior

While still holding my breath in nervous anticipation, I slowly turn around. My face flushes with shame and embarrassment as I realize it isn't a figment of my imagination. Its Alister O'Connell.

His face filled with concern as he warmly whispers to me, "Hey, you're okay. It's going to be okay. Just breathe." I rapidly intake a large amount of air through my mouth. Directing me further he adds, "and then slowly through your nose breath out." While keeping eye contact with him, my body responds as if I had known him my whole life.

For some odd reason I feel myself fully trusting. Trusting his advice. Trusting him. Which newsflash, trust isn't something I have ever taken lightly.

Deeply exploring the depths of his glistening eyes with multi-layers of various shades of blue, I feel my body relax underneath his warmth. Just when I feel like I am becoming grounded again, Alister wraps his other muscular long arm around the other side of my body, pulling me in close to him. I take another breath and slowly breathe out as I melt into the warm safe comfort of his embrace. Something about this just eased my soul. Something about Alister just soothed something deep within me. I felt safe. I felt.... I felt at home. Which is weird to say because I have never felt home anywhere.... ever... in my entire life... ever.

Perplexed at my life unfolding before me and my instinctual response to 'Mr. I-am-a-bad-boy' I slowly, unsure of myself whisper, "Uh... thanks." I ever-so-slightly pull away from his embrace as I test standing without support. Steadying myself on my feet I swallow a totally (not) attractive glob of snot clogging my throat, "Um... shouldn't you be in third period?"

A warm chuckle escapes his lips and sends goosebumps down my body, "Alexandria, don't worry about me. I wanted to make sure you are okay." He slices though my soul by looking into my eyes deeper than anyone ever has as he brushes an unruly wave of my thick hair away from my eyes and tucks it softly behind my ear. A thought pops into my head, but I don't dare ask; how did he know my full name? I don't think I've shared it with anyone in school, other than my best friend, Sami.

In a sultrily warm tone his voice spreads though my ears like butter, "Your soul calls me." An entranced gaze overwhelms his expression as he continues, "It is not only my duty, but my life's purpose to serve you. You are a precious one of a kind gem." He swiftly raises my trembling hand to his warm smooth lips. After giving it an affectionate peck, he places my hand by my side and disappears down the hallway.

What the heck just happened? One minute I am in full blow panic triggered by my overwhelming desire for normalcy, and the next I must have been hallucinating. So much for being normal.

I stumble back to Creative Writing and plop down in my desk chair. Pressing my hot face against the cool cover of my notebook, I replay what just happened. I must be delusional. There is no way Mr. bad-boy O'Connell talked to me, let alone said those things, and KISSED MY HAND!? What century do I live in? It obviously isn't the 21st. I am most certainly losing my ever-loving mind. Wait, what did he say? More like what did my delusional mind image him saying...

My soul calls to him? What the hell is that about? And the weird look in his eyes... It was like he was entranced. Like he was somewhere else or someone else. Replaying his voice in my head continuously sends chills down my spine.

The school's chimes echo through my ears interrupting my mental banter as the booming voice reminds us to move to third period. Wait, class is already over? It can't be. I glance up at the clock to see that I must have been out in the hallway for forty minutes at least... Great. People are going to think I have digestive problems. Spending a whole class in the "bathroom". Ugh. I'm an idiot.

Standing by the doorway Antonio reminds the class, "Don't forget the blood drive is here today! If you wish to go, they will write a note for your next period. Make sure you take your parent permission form with you."

After gathering my items and exiting the classroom, I walked down the hall towards the back door where they had the blood drive truck parked. I stopped right before I made it to the single glass door to whip out the parent permission form that I shoved in a side pocket a few days ago. After a bit of rummaging, I found a pen and filled out the form, signing it with Garvey's signature. I don't mind doing my part in society, but I didn't see the point in getting parent permission when I didn't even have any real parents. Satisfied with my mediocre forgery, I tossed the pen in my bag, slung it over my shoulder and pushed forcefully on the horizontal door bar to exit the building.