Chapter Ten

There was food out on the tables already, and a few students scattered about the Great Hall, but it was mostly deserted. Harry didn't mind. He wasn't used to being around a lot of people, and he was glad to have the time to himself.

He sat down at the end of Slytherin table closest to the professors, away from his fellow Slytherins, and pulled out a quill and parchment. He had a letter to write.

Dear Sirius & Remus,
I was sorted into Slytherin last night! I hope you both don't mind. I told the sorting hat to put me in the house that I would do the best in.
Adam was sorted into Gryffindor. I'm kind of glad we're not in the same House. It seems like it could get awkward that way.
I don't know what our parents told him about me yet. I haven't spoken to him. But he seemed shocked to see me at Hogwarts - he kept staring at me last night during the feast.
Have you heard from my parents yet? If you do, let me know. I want to know what they have to say.
In other news, I think I've made a friend! His name is Draco Malfoy. He's a bit of a snob, but I think he's nice enough anyway. He's got some of those pureblood opinions you told me about, but he seemed open to other opinions, as well. He seemed very impressed that I was staying with "Lord Black," Sirius.
I'm at breakfast, now. I hope I'll find the owlery before classes start, but it might have to wait until lunch. I don't know my schedule yet.
Hedwig says hi!
Love from,
Harry

Harry waited for the ink to dry, before rolling up the letter and tying it off. He wondered if Malfoy would help him find the owlery. Or perhaps one of the prefects could help him. Digging into his breakfast, he looked around. A few more students had arrived, mostly Ravenclaws, but there were students from every house, breaking their fast early.

Harry served himself breakfast, eggs and bacon and pumpkin juice, and dug in, after opening his book to read while he ate. He ate slowly, getting absorbed in Hogwarts, A History. It was a bit dry, but the information was interesting. Harry was particularly interested in Salazar Slytherin and the Founders, as he'd heard a bit of Slytherin's reputation and was wondering where the pureblood — muggleborn divide came from, especially Slytherin's reputation of taking only or mostly purebloods.

The book didn't have much in the way of that, but it was fascinating all the same. Hogwarts was reported to have many secrets, and the book touched on that, how much of the school remained a mystery continuing up to modern times.

Sirius and Remus had both had something to say about the mysteries of the school. They had found a number of hidden passages, and even had made a map, though neither knew what had become of it since their schooldays. Harry was determined to find at least some of them, and perhaps create a map of his own, if he couldn't find his parent's one.

Maybe Draco would be interested in exploring? It would be nice to do it with a friend.

Harry finished eating, closing his book, and glanced over at the older students at the end of the table. Maybe they could help him find the owlery.

He had spent more time reading than eating, he realized, as he saw that the Great Hall had filled with students. Harry was still unused to being able to read as he pleased. At the Dursley's, he had barely been able to read for his school assignments, let alone read for pleasure. He was starting to think he might like it.

Harry shoved his book back into his bag, before standing. Malfoy and the rest would no doubt be down for breakfast soon, and he wanted to get his letter posted before classes.

He asked one of the older students where the owlery was, and he was given brief directions. After thanking the boy - Warrington - he headed to the entrance of the Great Hall.

He had just left when he saw his brother, Adam, enter. Harry felt the sudden urge to turn around and run. He really didn't want to deal with this confrontation now, when he was alone. But it looked like he had no choice.

Both boys froze for a second, neither apparently knowing how to react. Harry wanted to think the best of his twin - their parent's actions weren't his fault, even if they were a reaction to his status as the Boy-Who-Lived.

All of a sudden, Sirius's great prank seemed like a terrible idea. Why had he gone along with it? This all could have been avoided if they'd just written to the Potter's over the summer.

"Sorry we didn't write," Harry blurted out, "I mean... sorry it was such a surprise, my coming to Hogwarts."

He wasn't sure what else to say. It hadn't really occurred to him that his sudden appearance might affect his brother, though it was hard to think of Adam that way.

But Adam didn't react to his apology well.

"What, you thought if you showed up out of the blue you'd get some kind of special attention?" he sneered. "It's pathetic."

Harry actually took a step back, he was so surprised at Adam's attitude.

"What?" he said, stunned. "I'm not - I don't want attention!"

Adam rolled his eyes, and the red-headed boy next to him snorted.

"Sure. Mum and dad told me about you. That you had to go live with muggles because you're a squib."

"I'm not a squib!" Harry said hotly, though something about that bothered him. It shouldn't matter if he was a squib or not, really.

"Obviously," Adam said. "Or else you wouldn't be here. Just because you turned out to have some magic doesn't mean anything. I'm the Boy-Who-Lived, not you."

Harry frowned.

"I know that," he said, not sure what Adam meant.

"I heard you were staying with Sirius Black," Adam continued. "Don't you know he's a dark wizard? I wouldn't associate with a Black, if I were you."

"He's my godfather," Harry said, "and he's not a dark wizard!"

Adam shook his head, almost as if he was pitying Harry.

"Don't be stupid. The Blacks are all dark, everyone knows that. He's probably using you or something."

Harry felt a hot flush of anger fill his body. What did Adam know, anyway? He was a spoiled brat who didn't understand anything.

"You don't know what you're talking about," he said firmly, trying to control his temper. "What's your problem with me, anyway? You're my brother."

Adam flinched as if stung.

"I don't know you," he said shakily, and Harry wondered what he was thinking. "And we might have the same name, but you aren't my brother. I don't have a brother."

And he turned and walked away, the red-headed boy trailing after him.

Hedwig stuck her head out of his shirt, hissing at him.

"Are you okay?" she asked, obviously sensing his distress, but smart enough not to come out when others were around.

"I'm fine," he lied. "Go back to sleep."

Shaken, Harry left as well, making his way up to the owlery. He didn't understand. Sure, maybe he didn't expect him and Adam to get along perfectly right away, but neither did he expect this level of hostility. He might have messed up by not writing first, but he had never done anything to hurt Adam, had he?

He thought about editing his letter to Sirius and Remus to include the confrontation, but decided against it. They would just worry. Though he did wonder if either of them had contacted the Potter's yet.

He posted his letter with one of the school owls, wishing he could talk to his godfather face to face. Maybe Sirius would understand what was wrong with Adam.