Chapter Twelve

Harry had only been at Hogwarts a day, and it was already home in a way the Dursley's never was. A part of him felt as if he was meant to be at the school, and he supposed that was right. He was a wizard, and he belonged with his fellow wizards in the magical world. Not with muggles - especially ones like his aunt and uncle.

More than ever, he was grateful to Sirius and Remus for taking him away before the school started, and giving him a home to look forward to. And more than ever, he was resentful of his parents for giving him up. This should have been his, always. The magical world was his right, and they had stolen that life from him for ten years.

Harry didn't know how he was supposed to forgive that.

On the other hand, he was still intensely curious about his mother and father. He hadn't met them since he had found out they were still alive, or received a letter from them, or anything like that. But they must know he went to Hogwarts by now. Adam must have written to them, or maybe one of the professors. Or perhaps Remus, who, while agreeing to the prank, seemed to be the more responsible one out of him and Sirius.

Then again, he didn't know how you were meant to react when you found out the supposed squib son that you gave up suddenly appeared at Hogwarts. It wasn't exactly a normal situation.

The only thing he didn't like about Hogwarts was the gossip that followed him everywhere. His relation to Adam Potter alone was enough to get people to pay attention to him. Add in the fact that he was supposedly a squib and had been adopted out to muggles, only to get his Hogwarts letter anyway, and everyone seemed to have an opinion.

Harry hated it.

At least his fellow Slytherins mostly left him alone, and he could get some peace and quiet in the Common Room. He could tell they were curious about him, but it seemed they were content to wait and watch. There were a few odd looks, as if a Potter in Slytherin was a strange thing, but with Draco at his side Harry didn't mind them too much.

The day after Harry wrote to Sirius and Remus, he got a reply at breakfast.

Dear Harry,
Congratulations on your Sorting! There's nothing wrong with Slytherin house, and you should ignore anyone who says differently. We're both very proud of you.
Remus wrote to the Potter's after we got home from Platform 9 3/4, but we haven't heard anything from them yet. If you do, let us know right away, alright? We're not sure how they're going to react.
We're both pleased that you've made a friend. Just make sure to remember what we've taught you, keep an open mind, and don't let anyone tell you what you should think. And Lord Black says hello to his little cousin!
Write us back and tell us how your classes are! And remember to have fun.
Say hello to Hedwig for us,
Love,
Sirius & Remus

Harry grinned at the letter, before tucking it into his bag. A part of him, just a little part, had been worried that Sirius would be mad at him for not being in Gryffindor like him and Remus. But it seemed that he had worried for nothing.

"Sirius says hello, Draco," he said to his friend as he folded the letter and stowed it in his robes.

Draco looked pleased, reading his own letter from home.

"Really? That's good. Mother and father are both pleased with my sorting, of course. Is your godfather alright with you being in Slytherin?" he asked, looking concerned. "I know he was in Gryffindor."

"The letter says they're proud of me," Harry said, unable to quash the warm feeling in his chest, and not sure he wanted to.

Draco smirked a little bit, as if he knew it all along.

"Of course they are," he said. "Mother says she's going to write to Lord Black, since we're friends. I told her about you, and she says it's just awful what the Potter's did."

Harry wondered what would have happened if the Malfoy's had a child who they thought was a squib. He guessed they would do the same as his birth family, and give the child up. The Potter's problem was that they had made a mistake, not that they had given up a squib. He wouldn't say so out loud, of course, at least no to Draco, but perhaps he could ask Sirius and Remus what they thought. How many squibs were there, anyway? How many children had been given up for adoption because they didn't have magic?

It bothered him. But Harry didn't have much time to think about it, because one of the upper years approached him just then.

"Look, Potter, you're on the front page," Warrington said as he showed Harry The Daily Prophet. The headline screamed, POTTER TWIN? Brother of Boy-Who-Lived Appears at Hogwarts!

Harry groaned, letting his head thump down onto the table. This was the last thing he needed. Someone had blabbed to the press.

Warrington patted him on the back.

"Can I borrow that, please?" he asked weakly. "I'd like to know what they say about me."

"You can have it, Potter," he said, chuckling. "No problem." And he dropped the paper off on the table, before heading off to his classes.

Harry picked up the newspaper, and, somewhat reluctantly, began to read.

The incoming First Years at Hogwarts this year have a surprising addition - Adam Potter's twin brother. Students and staff alike were shocked when, after the Boy-Who-Lived went to Gryffindor, his lookalike appeared. Harry Potter, thought to be a squib after the events of Halloween ten years ago (See Page 3).

This reporter was unable to discover the reason that Mr. Potter was declared a squib, though Healer Nereus at St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries says that traumatic events can delay the development of magic. Though Healer Nereus says that in such cases, it is better to wait and watch. Why the Potter's chose to give up their son is a question that is worth asking.

Sources say that young Harry's godfather, Lord Sirius Black and his husband Remus Lupin-Black, have been searching for the boy since his birth parents sent him away. Whether Lord Black will adopt Harry Potter, or the Potter's will want to take their son back, is still up in the air.

Harry Potter was sorted into Slytherin.

See more on the Boy-Who-Lived on page 2. Read the history of Head Auror James Potter on page 4.

Well, it could be worse, Harry thought. They could have found out about the Dursley's.

"Sirius is going to kill someone," he groaned, shoving the paper at Draco. He knew his godfather had something of a temper, and this would likely set it off.

Draco read the paper eagerly.

"Well, it's very sympathetic," he said, folding it away. "They're on your side, at least for now. That's good."

"I guess," Harry said doubtfully. But he didn't want to be in the newspaper at all. It was private, what had happened to him. A family matter, not for the wizarding public to read about. He felt almost violated.

Draco sighed a little bit.

"I guess it must be a shock, you having grown up with muggles and all, but in the magical world, the Potters are important people. So are the Blacks, and the Malfoys. You're going to have to get used to this."

"How can I ever get used to something like this, though?"

Draco shrugged.

"It has its upsides. With fame comes power," he said wisely, as if repeating something he had been told. "You can use it. Now, come on, or we'll be late for potions."