10. Team Eight

Kiba groaned, running his hands through his hair.

Sasuke chuckled. "You'll be fine."

"Don't patronize me." Kiba hissed. "I have a terrible feeling about today."

Sasuke smirked and followed him into the classroom.

"Wait," Kiba paused mid-step. "Is that Naruto?" Kiba sprinted over to his desk and slammed his hands on the table. "Naruto! Holy shit, you graduated?"

Naruto grinned and waved his shinobi headband in Kiba's face. "That's right, dattebayo! I was made an exception for saving Iruka-sensei, sucker!" He stuck his tongue out childishly. "Guess you don't have to wait to get your ass handed to you!" Naruto cackled.

Kiba rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever." He shoved Naruto's shoulder fondly and walked back to Sasuke at their desk, grumbling under his breath.

Sasuke smiled at the sight of him. "Why are you sulking now?"

"Iruka nearly died, but Naruto saved him so he graduated," Kiba whined. "Why did Naruto have to save him? He could have been left alone to perish."

As if he was summoned by Kiba's words, Iruka-sensei walked into the classroom and had everyone settle down. "Alright class, I know you're all excited for your teams, so I'll announce them now. After lunch, you'll get picked up by your sensei. Other than that, you guys can talk and chatter. I recommend you start talking to your teammates and getting to know them as soon as possible."

Kiba rolled his eyes as Iruka cleared his throat and began calling names out. "Team 1, Amy..." Nearly immediately, Kiba tuned him out and focused on running his hands through Akamaru's fur, a small habit he picked up after Hana. He did, however, perk up at Sasuke's name.

"For Team 7, Sasuke Uchiha, Sakura Haruno--" There were cheers and groans, while Kiba winced in sympathy--"and Naruto Uzumaki." Cue more groans and one final cheer. Kiba turned to Sasuke who was now sulking. He patted his friend's head.

"Man, I feel bad for you." Kiba frowned. Of course, Kiba enjoyed Naruto's company, but he wasn't a very reliable teammate or shinobi. Sakura was...well, Sakura didn't seem all that dedicated to becoming strong and instead opted for obsessing over Sasuke.

The next team was called out with a hint of disdain, forced through grit teeth, so Kiba knew it was his team. "Team 8 consists of Kiba Inuzuka, Hinata Hyuuga, and Shino Aburame."

Kiba smiled, excited. He knew next to nothing about Shino other than the fact that he didn't talk much and had high academic scores, constantly praised by Iruka, and that his clan dealt with bugs and insects. Hinata, he knew vaguely as the girl who stuttered, was shy, and didn't have a crush on Sasuke. Kiba decided that was good enough to start with.

After a couple more teams, Iruka allowed the class to talk to their new teammates. One quick glance told Kiba that Shino didn't budge, and Hinata seemed hesitant to initiate anything. Sasuke also crossed his arms and refused to talk to Naruto or Sakura, so Kiba rolled his eyes and pulled him over to Hinata.

"Hey! Hinata, right?" Kiba grinned, giving her a friendly wave.

Hinata flushed and nodded her head meekly.

"I'm Kiba Inuzuka, and this is my best friend Sasuke." Kiba gestured to the grumbling Uchiha, who paused to nod at the girl. Hinata bowed her head and fidgeted with her fingers, looking more nervous.

"Hm." It seemed that Shino had arrived, looking at them all critically. Kiba brightened at the sound of his new teammate and turned to greet him.

"Kiba Inuzuka," Shino muttered, adjusting his glasses. Kiba deflated. He could hear the same hint of disdain or irritation in his voice that Iruka had.