19. Falling

I have been equally excited and dreading this chapter

Okay so I lied I have been dreading it a LOT. I'm so bad at angst it hurts

'It's those assholes again.'

Kiba averted his gaze, trying to lower his head in an effort to look inconspicuous. He hadn't been putting on the Inuzuka paint at all recently, though Akamaru was still as recognizable as ever.

"Lookie here." Kiba could hear the smirk in the boy's voice. "It's the idiot dog boy and his mutt."

Kiba looked up, realizing he had been backed into a dead-end of the alleyway. The same boys from years ago, who had always been pushing around Kiba and Akamaru before Sasuke, grinned back at him. The leader cracked his knuckles menacingly.

"I'm not afraid of you." Kiba drawled. He really wasn't. He had gone through hell and came out alive, he could handle a couple of kids.

"Oh really? Tell that to my fist!" The leader roared, swinging wildly at Kiba's face. The Inuzuka ducked easily, grabbing ahold of the boy's wrist and forcing him forward. He went flying into the wall. Silently, Kiba mused over the fact that his aikido reflexes were improving.

"That was a really cheesy line, Roku." He told the groaning form.

Two more boys charged toward him. Kiba let a small grin spread on his face. It would be nice to get a little bit of action.

But right before he could side-step and judo flip them to his heart's content, a quick figure swooped in and tackled them to the ground.

The rest of the gang staggered back. "H-His eyes!" One cried out before they all ran away. The figure stood, and Kiba gritted his teeth, frustrated. The uchiwa fan symbol stared back at him.

Sasuke turned to him, eyes red with his clan's dojutsu. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? I was so worried—"

Kiba crossed his arms. "You didn't have to be." He muttered. "I can handle myself."

"Of course you can." Kiba flinched at the small sarcasm hidden within Sasuke's words. "I was just concerned, what with your injuries...and—"

"I told you I'm fine, Sasuke!" Kiba spat. "You don't need to walk eggshells around me, either. Just say it! Lots of shit has happened to me. I know it, you know it, don't pretend it didn't happen!"

"I wasn't." Sasuke replied, staring at Kiba with a softness behind the red eyes.

"Well, you are." Kiba forced out, turning around and stalking away.

Sasuke watched him leave. "I'm sorry, Kiba." He whispered, bowing his head.

'I'm sorry.' Sasuke repeated in his head, lost and unsure. He forced his gaze away and began walking to his apartment.

::

Kiba readjusted the bandages wrapped around his arms. He looked up to the floor-length mirror in front of him, gaze softening when he saw his reflection staring back at him.

With a shaky hand, Kiba reached up to his face and softly traced one of the scars curving towards his eye.

Tears welled in his eyes, though he quickly wiped them off and turned away from the mirror.