𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐚 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭

𝐅𝐁𝐈 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐫

                                        𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄 and the only people left in the foyer area was Avery and her best friend Carlie Ross, they were both working on their respective areas of expertise. Avery was writing a report, pursing her lips as she signed the report off.

"Hey Ave." Carlie speaks, standing up from her seat and walking towards her best friend. "Do you see these markings?" She speaks, pursing her lips ― as she looked more closer to it, Carlie sighed. "It's Saline." 

"Whoever wrote this," Avery said handing her back the note. "Was crying when they were doing so." Avery spoke, as she pulled up her phone ― ringing downstairs where Morgan was sitting at his desk.

"Morgan, It's Rico. The hit list, it has saline on it." She speaks, as she leans against her chair. Her hand running her fingers over her face, with a bitter frown on her face. 

"You serious?" Morgan asks, a loud creak was heard over the phone ― indicating that he had just sat up straight, "have you sent it too Garcia?" He asks her and, Avery looked over at Carlie ―  and went to utter her name.

"Already done." Carlie spoke ― cutting her best friend off, and Avery closed her mouth. She sent a dark glare towards Carlie ― who in turn gave her a silly smirk backwards. Avery flipped her off, before turning back towards her desk. 

"It should be with her now." Avery spoke, and Morgan on the other end of the line ― pursed his lips. "Call me back when you get the results." She speaks, before putting the phone onto her machine. "Jesus." Avery muttered, running her fingers over her face again.

"You look like shit." Carlie mustered up from the other side of the foyer and Avery turned to look at her with a cocked brow. 

"Excuse you?" Avery questioned, with a cocked brow ― "That was nerve-y." She mocked, and Carlie flicked her the middle finger up at her. When red lights went of and Carlie looked at her worried. 

"That's the security lights," Carlie drawled, "Someone else, that shouldn't be here. Is here." Carlie spoke, as she pulled her gun out of her drawer, and Avery grabbed her gun off of her desk. The two agents pulled their guns close to their chests before quickly ― and quietly tip-toed through the dark building. 

Avery thought she heard footsteps behind her, so she pivoted on her heel and hid behind a big report shelf. A gun shot rang out through the floor, and Avery closed her eyes ― a single tear rolled down her cheek. 

"You son of a bitch," Carlie spoke, wheezing. "When I find you, I will kill you." She warned, and a raspy, cold laugh rattled through the foyer. Avery managed to sneak around the corner to try and see who it was.

"Oh, baby. Try it." He spoke, gripping her chin between his blood coated fingers. Avery winced as Carlie made eye contact with her. She mouthed 'run' to her, and Avery gnawed on her lips before he turned around. She quickly managed to push herself against the shelf again.

But she had already caught wind of who the killer was, and who it was ― scared her. He was definitely not the same person he was. 

✶✶✶

                                  𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃 the rest of her team when she had arrived at the hospital ― not long after the shooting had occurred. By the time the rest of the team had arrived, the brunette had been sitting in the hospital for almost 2 hours. 

"Sorry," Leslie spoke up as she entered the waiting room ― finding Avery's head in between her hands. "Had to pick up these assholes." She spoke, jabbing her fingers between the Brown twins, and the two of them faked being offended. "What do we know?" She speaks as Avery lifted her head.

"I was there, Leslie." Avery admitted, "I was there when he shot her, and I had a clean shot, but she told me to run. I froze, that was never part of training." Avery speaks, her bottom lip wavering. 

"Ave, it wasn't your fault." Carson speaks, and Avery pursed her lips. The older women sighed, as Carson sat down beside her ― Avery was the second senior officer on the team, the first was Leslie. 

"That's not helping, Cars." Avery spoke as she stood up, cracking her legs as they were getting cramped from sitting on the cold ― plastic, chairs. "I was there, and I did nothing ― she's younger than me, I should've protected her." 

"Don't do that to yourself." A male voice spoke up from behind them, David Rossi rubbed his eyes ― if it wasn't for the fact that Leslie Gonzalez had called him ― this early in the morning, he would've still been in the office. "You can't blame yourself, Carlie made her choice when she decided to try and safe you." 

"You called him?" Avery questioned, tilting her head to the side. Leslie rolled her eyes. 

"Rossi needs to talk to her after she is out of surgery, see if she can identify her shooter." Leslie explained, and Avery froze up ― if Carlie could identify her shooter, everything would come crashing down, all the lies, deceit and betrayal would come out. 

Rossi noticed her change of demeanour, and he knew then ―  she also knew the killer, she could also identify him.