Chapter VI

[Back to the past]

I woke up with a blank memory. Had no recollection of what happened last night.

I was not in my room. It took me some time but I realized that I was in the hospital. 

My whole body hurt like hell. I tried to move a bit but couldn’t. I called for the nurse. Soon after the door opened & I saw Jennifer at the door. She is a sweet lady who has been working in this community hospital for years. I have been here couple of times for some reason. I also did some voluntary work for her. That's how I know her.

"So you are finally wake". She said with genuine concern in her voice. "You had me worried for a second".

"It hurts like hell. How did I end up here?" I was still clueless about last night.

You were in a accident. You crashed into somebody's car. Your car went over the railing and fell into the river. You are lucky that you are still alive.

I still couldn’t remember the event. Why? How? These were the questions that went through my mind.

Despite the pain in my body, my mind was working overtime. I knew there was another car involved in the crash. And looking at Jennifer's face, I knew what happened to them.

Still I asked. "What happened to the other car"?  " Was it someone I know?"

She hesitated. After a brief moment, she said that the person in the other car didn’t make it. She doesn’t think that I knew her.

I know that she is trying to sooth me. Knowing or not knowing that person doesn’t make me feel nice. I might have killed someone with my reckless driving.

But why? Why did i drink so heavily?  Why was I driving while drinking? What happened yesterday?