XIV

"How was your term?" Draco asked Albus and Scorpius. Scorpius, who was in the backseat, stayed silent as Albus, who had shotgun, rambled on and on about his latest girlfriend (who was a different person than Scorpius had seen last night) and his Quidditch victories.

Draco looked at Scorpius in the rearview mirror, asking, "What about you, Scorp?"

"Nothing really, " Scorpius muttered, looking out the car window.

"Nobody you've got a little crush on?"

Scorpius shook his head. "Nope."

Draco furrowed his eyebrows but kept his eyes on the road ahead of him. Albus asked, "Can my mate Erick come over for a few days?"

"Uhm, who's his parents?"

"You already met his dad, " Albus told him. "Ronald Weasley."

Scorpius sunk low in his seat but heard Draco reply, "Uh, yeah. How long've you been mates, then?"

"Since first year, " Albus grinned. "Don't worry, he's gay. He won't try to hit on grandma."

Draco shrugged and told his eldest son, "Sure, he can. Your dad's been working on a new painting, so as long as he doesn't interfere, he can come."

Albus grinned. "Thanks, Dad."

Scorpius stayed low in his seat, biting his lip. Draco glanced at his son, his eyebrows furrowing a bit as he tried to figure out what was going on in his sons head.

It was scary, how much Scorpius reminded him of Harry when he was seventeen; always so quiet, a terrible temper if it came down to it, and the way he never wanted to let anybody in.

When they arrived at their home in Yorkshire, Albus grinned widely as he and Scorpius went inside, hauling their bags to their rooms. Scorpius shut his door silently behind him, going as far as to turn the lock to make sure his fathers or Albus wouldn't barge in.

He went to his desk after setting his bags on his bed, dipping his quill in ink as he thought of how best to start this letter. He hadn't exchanged a word with Erick since early that morning and he wasn't sure what to say.

I'm terribly sorry for the way I acted, he finally decided on. He continued, just trying to keep it simple and clean. Neat. Polished.

He sent it with his owl, frowning as it flew down the slope that the large yellow house resided. Where Erick Weasley was.

In the kitchen downstairs, Draco looked through the medicine cabinet, where he kept a few potions handy for Harry. The day before yesterday, he had received a threatening letter from his father, who had recently been released from Azkaban along with their old professor, Severus Snape.

Ever since he read it, Harry had been having terrible nightmares. He'd claw at Draco in his sleep, screaming so loudly that it was a miracle the neighbours didn't hear. Harry had had a nightmare that Albus was a child again, two years old and James Potter had come through the window. When Harry tried to confront him, James pushed Albus down the stairs, but, when he hit the floor, he had turned into Nathalie, Harry's late sister.

Draco found the potion he was looking for and filled a glass of water before walking down the hall to his and Harry's room. Harry liked it dark in the room, so it was a challenge for Draco not to hit his leg on the large easel that was pushed against the wall.

"Harry? Are you up?"

Harry groaned as he lifted his head and looked at Draco. He sat up, his shoulders slumping as he looked down at his hands. It amazed Draco; how Harry had been so strong for so long, only to be ripped apart by nightmares and a threat he hadn't needed to deal with for almost seventeen years. Harry looked up at Draco as he sat down next to him, his eyes bloodshot. He hadn't shaved in a few days, making his face look even more angular than it already was. He reminded Draco of a madman in the movies.

"Thanks, " he murmured as he drank the potion and the water. He sipped the water slowly, looking as if he were going to be sick. Again.

Draco cupped his face gently, feeling the same helpless feeling he had when he was seventeen. Harry set the glass down, blinking fast. The blonde man wasn't sure if he liked the way Harry's unshaven face felt in his hands.

As if to ground himself, Harry touched Draco's hand, grasping it. "Draco, I---" he stops himself. His emerald eyes fill with tears as he buries his face in Draco's left hand.

"It's okay, Harry."

"I'm sorry, " Harry whispers as Draco hugs him tightly. Harry cries silently into his husband's shoulder, biting back his sobs.

Draco shook his head, whispering, "Hey, don't do that now. You have nothing to apologize for. This isn't your fault."

"I should have lied, " he whispered. "I should have lied and said he killed her. Then he'd be gone forever."

Draco kissed his temple, making Harry relax just a bit. "I love you, Harry James."

"I hate my middle name, "

"I know. But I like it, "

Harry laughed quietly. "I. . ." he wiped at his eyes, taking his glasses off for a moment. "I wish he was dead."

Draco gazed at him sadly, saying, "I love you. I really do, "

"If you didn't, " said Harry, placing his glasses on his nose again, "you wouldn't be here."

Draco kissed him softly, telling him, "Make sure you get a bit more rest, okay? I'll order take away. And I think Albus and Scorp might have a lot to tell you about school."

Harry nodded and lay back down, taking his glasses off as he buried his face in one of Draco's pillows. He made a humming sound when Draco pulled the blanket up last his shoulders, giving him another quick kiss before leaving the room.

It never ceased to amaze Draco that, even after so many years, Harry's defences and his mind could be torn down in the fraction of a second, leaving him broken, helpless, and scared.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!