Prologue

A chill runs down Akira's spine as she stares at the massive monument in front of her.

"Honno-ji. The place where Nobunaga Oda met his demise."

Akira turns, tensing as if expecting danger, but lets out a breath of relief as she sees who it is. "Sasuke." She smiles lightly. He smiles back. His white coat flutters as he walks up next to her to gaze at the temple. "I'm sorry I dragged you out here." "It's alright. I should go out more often." As she speaks, fog rises into the air showing just how cold it is out. Akira looks to her childhood friend and asks, "This is where it's supposed to show up, right?" Sasuke nods saying, "Yes, however I'm not sure-"

He's cut off by the loud crash of thunder, followed quickly by a bolt of lightning. Akira's eyes immediately go wide as she jumps in fright. Suddenly, they're covered in water as a strong downpour pushes against them. Sasuke turns to Akira, whose eyes are tightly shut with her hands over her ears, but before he can say something, a voice cuts him off.

"Found you..."

Both turn in shock to the speaker, but a bolt of lightning right behind them has all three turn their heads. The person tisks, and turns back to the pair. A harrowing expression appears on their face as they pull out a knife. Both Sasuke and Akira are in defensive positions. The person lunges towards them, but a bolt of lightning hits right as they're about to assault Akira and Sasuke. Akira covers her eyes with her forearms as the light envelops them all.

Akira's eyes snap open as she rapidly sits up. Taking heavy breaths, she examines her surroundings. "Where..." The landscape is a clearing in the middle of a forest, and Sasuke is nowhere in sight, neither is the attacker.

Published March 27th, 2020