Chapter 3-Choices

Akira hears the man approach before she sees him. She turns and goes tense, on her guard. A tall man with religious robes and a staff walks out from behind the foliage. He stops as soon as he sees her.

"A young woman?"

The monk stares questioning at her, before asking "Who are you? It's not  good to be alone at this time of night." Her shoulders relax slightly, but there's something off about him. A scar runs, cutting his face in half diagonally. "I'm Akira." "I'm Kennyo, a wandering monk." He lowered his head slightly as a sign of respect. His worn, chiseled face curls into a friendly, yet malicious smile. His silhouette reminds Akira of the one she vaguely saw through the blaze.

"You should go home quickly. Demons lurk in the forest at night."

Kennyo's words send chills down Akira's spine. The voice reminds her of someone. Someone all too familiar. Composing herself before he notices, she smiles at him before saying, "You're right. I really should be getting back. Excuse me."

As soon as she turns away, her smile fades just as fast as it came. She walks at a faster than normal pace, until she reaches a cliff as the forest thins. Akira's hair ruffles as the cool night wind rushes past her. She sits on the edge of the ledge, feet dangling off. Inhaling deeply, she exhales through her mouth. The air was refreshing, especially after her hectic evening. Then, someone wrenches her shoulder back, sending her tumbling into the ground.

"Hey are you crazy or what?!"

Looking up at the man from the ground, she stares him dead in the eye. "No, but you are really rude." The grass is damp under her palms as she pushed herself into an upright position, before sliding her feet under her, and standing.

"Now, now Yuki."

Akira whips her head around as a man walks out from the underbrush. He's tall, and built. His face seemed worn, but he couldn't be older than 30...and his presence. It was comparable to the monk from earlier. Or even of that damned Nobunaga. "You shouldn't treat a lady so roughly."

"Tch"

Just great. Another one. Akira's eyes focus on a beautiful man, with pale blonde hair and two different colored eyes.

"The smoke from Honno-ji has already been extinguished. Why should we stay here?" "Now now Kenshin. We have a fine woman and the death of the devil. Isn't that good enough for tonight?" "I appreciate the compliment, however I don't think I want to stick around for the rest of this conversation." Akira speaks up, causing all eyes to fall on her.

Then, a man's shadow emerges from the darkness, before the other men can speak. His footsteps hold no sound, and his breath seems to stand still.

"The fires from Honnoji have been extinguished. However, Nobunaga lives."

The man speaks to Kenshin directly. The chestnut in his eyes reflects in the moonlight, as they scan the gathered crowd, before his eyes land on her.

"Akira...?"

Her eyes glimmer in response as they widen in surprise. She calmly exhales, which produces a resounding whistle. "By the gods.....Sasuke?" Akira's face breaks out into a grin. Kenshin looks at Sasuke with a barely traceable look of confusion. "Do you know this woman, Sasuke?" He pulls down his mask, leaving it to settle around his neck.

"Yes. We grew up in the same village."

The ridiculous grin morphs into a solemn smile. "It's been quite some time. What, 5 years?" The ninja's eyes dance with confusion before realizing. "It has. What are you doing in Kyoto?" "Actually, I'm just passing through. I'm on my way to Azuchi, and from there probably Echigo." "No set destination?" "Well, I don't have a job like you. For the past 5 years I've been wandering Japan, picking up work here and there."

"Enough of this." Kenshin's voice rings out, effectively shutting Sasuke's open mouth. "Take her away." Akira snorts in amusement. "You don't need to take me away. I'll leave upon my own accord." But even with her protests, Sasuke takes her by the elbow,and pulls her back into the forest.

"So..."

Sasuke turns to face his old friend. "Yes. It seems we have been transported back in time to the Sengoku period, a time of war for Japan. While you were transported 5 years back, I came a year after you." "And him?" Sasuke shakes his head. Looking down, he says "I don't know." He meets Akira's gaze. "When I arrived, I accidentally saved the life of Kenshin Uesugi, who in turn saved the life of Shingen Takeda." "Looks like we did more than watch....." Akira trails off, peering up into the moonlit sky.

"We accidentally altered the course of history."

Akira takes a deep breath. Right now, she needs to be heading out of the Kyoto area, because she had a feeling that Nobunaga would try something, and if not him one of his retainers. Suddenly, she hears hoof beats, those of a singular rider. The branch bends slightly as she heaves herself into the tree in order to confront the assailant. The bark agitates her back slightly as she pushes herself flat against the trunk. A man with an eyepatch and short brown hair enters her vision on a horse, scanning the area. Pushing off with the balls of her feet, she flips in the air, and lands behind the man, letting her feet slide down the saddle so she can sit.

The man, clearly alarmed, grabs for his sword and grasps the handle of his sword, but before he can draw it fully, Akira slams it back down into its sheath and holds it there.

"Hey there hot stuff."

"Hey yourself."

The man looks over his shoulder to grin at her, the smile dancing across his eye. Enthusiastically, she faintly grins back. "So, does Nobunaga's vassal have a name?"

"Oo, a clever one I see." After confirming he's one of Nobunaga's men, she releases her hold on his sword, and flips forward off his horse, and lands with him behind her. Akira spins on her heel to look at the man.

Slightly bowing his head, he says "Date Masamune-and you must be the Akira that has Lord Nobunaga so riled up." Akira narrows her eyes. "You would be correct. I assume you've come to take me with you to Azuchi."

"Are you going to come willingly?"

Akira crosses her arms across her bandaged chest. Looking down at the ground for a split second, she sighs before raising her head to look back up at Masamune.

"I don't have a choice, do I?"

Published September 28th, 2020