Chapter 6-Letters in the Dark

"You...do you have any idea what you've just done?!"

Hideyoshi's anger was rising fast, and everyone knew it. "Oh boy..." Ieyasu sounded extremely irritated, as if he couldn't be bothered. Akira kept her eye on Hideyoshi, as you could practically see the smoke coming off of him. Stubbornly loyal, is what she'd call him. "Lass?"

It was Masamune who called her that. It was probably her favorite nickname that she had gotten today. "You should apologize to Hideyoshi." At this point, Akira had completely turned her back on Nobunaga, not a particularly smart move, but right now, Hideyoshi posed the greatest threat.

"Why should I?"

That just pissed him off even more. He grits his teeth and barks out at her, "A thousand deaths couldn't atone for your crime!" To this, Akira stayed silent. It may have been a 'crime' and completely illogical but she wouldn't let a man she just met put his hands on her. Not answering also set him off, but I doubt giving a response would have helped. The bias was extreme.

He took two steps, and Akira discretely slid her feet under her, ready to move, and ready to dodge. Before that can happen however, two people grab Hideyoshi by the arms and push against his rampage. Mitsuhide has his right side, and surprisingly, Ieyasu has his left. She certainly didn't expect Ieyasu of all people would react first for her.

"Let me go!" "Come on Hideyoshi, it's her first day." Mitsuhide's voice is the epitome of calm, even though he's holding back a 5'8 man. "People would kill to be in the presence of Lord Nobunaga! What are you hiding, woman?!" Akira hid a lot of things, but she hated politics. She wouldn't spy on anyone for anyone, much less work under some stuck-up lord. Even though Nobunaga was grabby and cocky as hell, he was one of the better ones.

"Whatever would I be hiding? You've been stalking me ever since I got to Azuchi." "Then I'll force the truth out of you then." Akira's eyes narrow and Hideyoshi throws off his shackles, sending them back. He draws his longsword as Akira stands, pointing it at her throat.

And she chuckles. Hideyoshi's eyes widen, as do the others. Akira can feel Nobunaga's eyes at her back, but she continues. "Don't just threaten me." The piercing magenta eyes seem to glow, and it makes Hideyoshi slightly adjust his grip. "If you want to kill me,do it. Don't draw your sword and leave it hungry for my blood." She pressed her neck up to the sword, but it wasn't hard enough to draw blood.

That was when Nobunaga gave his order.

"Enough of this!"

The words rang out like a bell, and Hideyoshi seemed astonished, not only at the words of his lord, but the words of the woman who stood before him. "This woman is to remain by my side, unharmed. Whether you find her suspicious or not." His meaning was clear. Sheath your sword.

So Hideyoshi apologized. Not to Akira, the woman who so brazenly met his threat with defiance, but to his lord, whose orders he had disobeyed. He dropped to his knees, kneeling before Nobunaga in deep apology.

Then it is Akira who turns to Nobunaga. "Protecting your assets?" She was amused, and he could tell by the sound of her voice and her expression. But to this, he doesn't respond. Her delight calmed down, and left a small grin on her face. The room is quiet. Without another word spoken, Akira walks out of the war council, leaving behind six startled warlords.

The sunrise was warm, Akira decided as she sat up in her futon. The journal sits on the desk, next to an ink-stained brush. Humming to herself, she gently rolls her futon, and places it in the corner out of the way. When she sits down at her desk, she stretches her back, letting it crackle. Her fingers brush past the pages of the book, ever so delicately, as if it might crumble at her touch.