Chapter 1: Mystery Muscles

IMPORTANT A/N:
Due to incessant plagiarizing that will not seem to stop, I'll be taking this book down on December 31st and it will only be available on Patreon where my work is safer. Extended the original date in the hopes everyone who had it on their reading list has plenty of time to read it. Make sure you finish it before then and thanks for understanding ❤

Scarlett's POV:

I entered the bar with the bags and suitcases I could carry. Thankfully, it was a Wednesday and there was almost no one there as I made a ruckus dragging my suitcase through the bar. Dan came out from a set of swinging half-doors, wiping his hand on a rag. He seemed a lot older than the last time I saw him-the little bit of hair he had left, only on the sides of his head- was totally grey now. His beard was also salt and pepper grey, different from the dark brown I was used to. To the average person, he may look intimidating with his resting grumpy expression, his big frame and raspy deep voice, but I knew him better than that. He grinned when he saw me, opening up his arms.

"My God, look who finally made it!" he yelled, grabbing the attention of everyone in the bar as he came over to me, pulling me into a big hug. "You've grown so much, let me look at you," he said, stepping back and grinning. "You've somehow managed to become even more beautiful."

"Thanks," I giggled, setting my bags down so I could hug him properly. "And thank you so much for letting me do this."

"I'm not letting you do anything, honey. I don't even use the place. You're doing me a favor renting it out," he said with a wink, grabbing my bags. "Come on, I'll show you the way up."

He grabbed two of the bags but I kept the heaviest. He was a Navy Seal veteran and used to be part of a biker gang, so he walked with a limp- which was responsible for the limp, I didn't know. I felt bad he carried my bags but I knew it was useless to argue with it so I just kept a tight hold on the heaviest one.

He led me down towards the bar but instead of going through the double doors he came through, we went up a set of stairs next to it. We ascended up the narrow staircase and reached the top. He set down one bag and got out his keychain, thumbing through it until he found the right one. Sliding the key in the hole, he turned and pushed the door open.

"Now, it's not much, honey, but it's something. I tried to get as clean as I could but it was hard on the knees to bend down," he said, picking my bags up and walking inside.

I followed him in, a smile forming on my face. He made it seem like it wasn't much at all over the phone but I loved it. It was pretty open, no doors leading to the kitchen or front room or dining room, just all open space. There was only one door besides the front door. A couch and old TV sat in the middle of the living room, the kitchen had a little counter I could probably put stools at and use the dining area as an office instead. It was just perfect. Cozy and simple.

"Here's your kitchen," he said, gesturing to the right. "Dining room," he said, pointing to the corner. "Living room," he said, gesturing straight ahead before walking over to the left. "And over here is the bedroom," he finished, opening the door.

I stepped around him and went inside, glancing around. There was another door that was open, obviously containing the bathroom. It wasn't a huge room but there was a walk-in closet and a huge window. The bed was kind of small but since it was just me, it didn't matter too much.

"This is perfect. Thank you," I said, beaming at him and setting down my bag.

He set down the other two and smiled, clasping his hands together. "I'm glad you like it. Now come on, let me show you where to park and the way you can get in without having to walk through the whole bar."