Chapter 3: Sweet as Sugar

Scarlett's POV:

The show went well. Really, really well. So well I only came home with one, smaller drawing. Everything else sold. All those boxes. To say I was relieved was an understatement. I'd invested so much into that show and I was terrified but it was perfect and I got a lot of contacts from it. My purse was full of business cards with personal emails and numbers written on the back. It wouldn't be as hard to find my place here as I feared.

I pulled into the alleyway and parked the van, grabbing my suitcase where I stuffed my dress since it now didn't matter if it was wrinkled, and my last drawing. Going through the back, I came around the corner just as Dan was typing into his register.

"Scar," he greeted. "My famous artist."

"Don't get ahead of yourself," I said, smiling.

"And don't undervalue yourself," he countered, giving me a look before handing change to somebody. "Sit down, honey. We should be celebrating. I'll get you a drink and something to eat, you hungry?"

"I'm starved," I admitted, setting my hand on my stomach. "But I desperately need a shower. I'll be fast. Then I'll take you up on that drink. And I could really use one of those really unhealthy burgers you make with all the cheese and bacon."

These burgers would probably cause my death but I didn't care. There was cheese and bacon inside the burger as well as on top. Yeah, heart attack coming, but they still tasted really good.

"Sounds good," he chuckled. "Hey, let me look at the last one you got," he said, nodding to the folder I was holding.

"Sure. Don't get grease on it," I teased, handing over the folder. "I'll be right back."

I hurried upstairs with my suitcase and took the world's fastest shower because I truly was very hungry. I brushed out my hair and decided to let it stay wet, I had no one to impress. I put on the first things I found, some shorts, a v-neck, and sandals so I wouldn't be walking down there barefoot.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cupboard, planning to get a drink of water. I turned the handle and the water came out but I heard a spray coming from somewhere. I frowned and opened up the bottom cupboard and sure enough, it was spraying out of one of the pipes. Shit. I'd have to ask Dan about it. Grabbing a hair-tie on my way out, I bounded down the steps, throwing my hair up in a bun as I went.

"Dan, do you have some tools I can borrow or can you check out my kitchen sink?" I asked when I hit the last step.

"Sure, honey. What's the problem?" He asked, pouring a glass of something and sliding it across the counter.

"I think a pipe is loose or something," I shrugged. "I'd fix it but I don't have any tools with me. If you give it to me I'm sure I can figure it out."

"Well, I can fix it for you, just after closing," Dan argued.

"I can have a look at it, Danny. You shouldn't be on your knees."

Oh no. My heart stopped. I glanced over at Ryker who wasn't even looking in my direction, just looking at Dan.

"Well..." Dan said, looking back at me. "I'd rather it was fixed for her sooner."

"It's okay, I can wa-"

"Tools in the same spot?" Ryker asked, rising from his stool.

"Yep. Scar, will you show him the way? This is Ryker, by the way. Ryker this is Scarlett," Dan introduced. "Ryker helps out a lot around here."