Chapter Three: A Possible Plan

Being forced to rest isn’t the worst thing in the world. In fact it gave me time to think over everything that has happened thus far. The shapeshifter returns and manages to steal a priceless painting. He has also made it inside our headquarters not once but twice. Which means he could do it again. Xavier said that the shapeshifter had never attacked him like he has me. Which could be explained as he thinks I could actually bring him down and I was the most important agent out there.

    But none knows what he really looks like or what his real name is because of all the data collected before was lost. Thoughts kept swirling around in my mind and the more I thought of things the more I realized that it was going to be nearly impossible to catch this guy. Unless we were able to find out his weaknesses and his true identity.

    I hopped up and raced to the control room. “Xavier!”

    “Crystal? You should be resting.” Xavier replied.

    “Yes I know, but I thought of a plan to take down the shapeshifter!” I told him.

    “Well let’s hear it.” Xavier prompted me.

    “No. Not here. There are too many people and any one of them could secretly be the shapeshifter. I only want you to know my plan so nothing will go wrong.” I explained.

    Now I know what you are probably thinking. Xavier himself could be the shapeshifter. I was aware of that possibility and asked him some questions only he knew the answer to once we were far from headquarters and alone. It really was him. So I was able to discuss my plan without any fear of the shapeshifter over hearing or getting a whiff of my idea.

    We ended up near my old orphanage. After making sure no one was around Xavier asked me about my plan. “So what is this plan of your’s Agent Gem? Please enlighten me.”

    It was dark and we were both in black and hiding in the shadows. I looked around one more time just to make sure we were alone before jumping right in. “You said we don’t have much intel on this guy because of the black out and lost of information. Why don’t we just plant someone on the inside and have them learn all they can about the shapeshifter. They could go undercover and gain his trust.” I laid out my plan.

    “Who are you suggesting go undercover?” Xavier asked.

    “Me obviously. I will disguise myself and pretend to be his partner. Figure out what his weaknesses are and what he really looks like and his name and everything.” I said excitedly.

    “No. Absolutely not. It is just way too dangerous for you to risk being caught. No.” Xavier responded.

    “Agent X. You know better than anyone that I am more than capable of taking care of myself. Please let me do this.” I begged.

    Xavier looked as if he had just seen a ghost. He was silent for so long that I started to wonder if he had spaced out or gone into shock. I was about to snap my fingers in front of his face when he finally blinked.

“Okay. You are now officially undercover. Contact me only when you are alone and for only a short period of time. Understood?” Xavier asked.

    “Understood.” I began to walk away. The first thing I needed to do was change my appearance. It was time for my favorite thing. Shopping. And lucky for me the Sew Nice Clothing Boutique is open 24/7.