Chapter Six: Sweet Sweet Revenge

I woke up to the sound of movement coming from the hall. I quietly got out of the unfamiliar bed and made my way slowly over the door. When I got there I pulled the door open as fast as I could. Standing there on the other side of the door was a woman. She looked like she had just seen a ghost.

“Lena. I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you. I was just heading to the kitchen for some late night food.”

“Do you always shapeshift into someone else or do you ever stay the same person?” I asked.

“I keep changing so that it is impossible to get a good idea of where I’ve been or what I have been doing. If I stay as the same person for too long I could risk exposing myself. And as of right now that would not be good for either of us. So yes, I always change my form after someone has seen me.” he told me.

I had a ton of questions I wanted to ask, but I didn’t want to ask more than my share before we get close and he trusted me more. Despite my own warning bells going off I tried another question. “Can you change into anyone or only people you’ve met?” I knew he might change his mind about being friendly and shut me down, but I couldn’t seem to stop myself.

“I can only change into anyone that I have met. But I always see so many people so I don’t have to worry about being low on skins to wear.” he explained. He seemed to be really chatty and it could have been just from being tired, but he was talking. I had to get as much information as I could before he stopped answering my questions.

“So what causes you to have the ability to shapeshift? And is it the same with animals too?” I asked.

“I was in an accident when I was young. It gave me the ability to shapeshift. My parents were afraid of me and put me into the orphanage. And yes it is the same with animals too. Now please Lena, I can answer more of your questions tomorrow. Do get some sleep.” the shapeshifter began to walk away.

“Wait! I was in an orphanage too.” I cried out before I could stop myself.

“Really? So you know where I am coming from?” I suddenly saw a new softer side to the shapeshifter.

“Yeah I do. I never got to know my parents. I was given up as a baby.” I was leaning against the door way now and the shapeshifter took up  a spot to lean on the wall across from me.

“I am so sorry to hear that.” he said that with so much genuine sincerity I almost forgot who he was.

“Well I guess the bright side to my situation is that I never knew my parents so I can’t miss them. How can you miss someone you’ve never met? You must have had it so much harder. What orphanage were you at?”

“Mendora House.” he whispered.

“I was at Mendora’s House too!” I replied.

“Really? Is Miss Craw still there?” he asked excitedly.

Before we knew it the night had passed and we had spent it talking about our past lives. Turns out we had so much more in common than either of us could have imagined. And yes, I know he’s the enemy, but only people who have lived in an orphanage would understand what it was like to have someone truly know what you went through.

We decided to go to bed for the day and plan our first move that night. I went back into my room and closed the door. I counted to 60 before calling Xavier back on my comm link and told him everything that just happened. “The shapeshifter is from an orphanage just like me. We even lived in the same one. He got his ability to shapeshift from an accident when he was younger. And he can only turn into an animal or person he has seen before.”

“Good work Lena. All of this data will help us create a profile on him. Has he told you anything else?” Xavier asked.

“Yeah, he said he always changes people and animals after someone has seen him or interacted with him. He is never the same person more than twice if he can help it. He knows that it makes him harder to track.” I told Xavier.

“Thank you Lena. Keep up the good work. And stay safe.” Xavier signed off.

That night the shapeshifter and I discussed our plan of attack. “The only good revenge,” the shapeshifter said, “is the kind that makes people suffer.”

“So the Grand Palais is getting a delivery of a very valuable vase?” I asked trying to clarify the plan, “and it arrives tomorrow night?”

“That is correct.”

“But you said that we will be breaking in there and grabbing the vase after the delivery is made. Why not just attack the truck before it gets anywhere near the Grand Palais?”

“It would be easier, but we don’t know the truck’s route.” the shapeshifter explained.

“Leave that to me. I can figure out the truck’s path before the delivery is made tomorrow night.” I said slyly.

“Really?” he straightens at my words.

“Yeah. Tracking things down is my specialty. That and finding out things I am not supposed to find out.” before the shapeshifter could say anything else I turned for the door.

What I do next is the most risky thing I could do. I go straight to headquarters. When I arrive I see Xavier waiting outside for me. He spots me and immediately rushes over. “Crystal is that you?” he asks.

“It’s Lena. And yeah it’s me. I thank you for meeting me on such short notice and at this hour.” I had previously called Xavier to let him know I was on my way.

“Sorry, Lena, what is important enough for you to risk being seen with me?” I guess that means I am talking to Agent X.

“I need the route for a truck carrying a very expensive vase to the Grand Palais. It will arrive tomorrow night.” I explained.

“May I ask why?” Agent X asked.

“I can’t tell you that.” I had to avoid telling him the truth. If I told him the real reason I know he will talk me out of it.

Agent X thought for a moment. His eyes widened as he realized what was about to go down, “You’re going to rob that truck?! Lena you can’t!”

My frown deepened. I didn’t want to do it either. “Just get me the information I requested. And make sure to send your men when you get the alert.” I had to be mean, I told myself. If I wasn’t I would break down and agree with him.

Agent X looked hurt and looked as if he was going to say something. I turned and hurried away, unable to bear seeing the hurt in his eyes. By the time I made it back to the shapeshifter’s house it was morning and the sun was starting to climb. Before I entered my comm link pinged with a data download message. I opened it and saw on my screen was the route the truck was taking.

I entered the house and found a new person sitting in the living room. I walked in and immediately got down to business. “Got the truck’s route.” I said.

“Amazing work Lena. Pull it up will you? We can find the route’s weakest point and use that to our advantage.” the old man in the chair said. I pulled up the map on my comm link and showed it to him. We got to work right away.