Chapter Ten: Darkness in a Blindfold

From where I was hidden I watched as Whitney came back in with a vase in her hands. Dang it. I thought. She was successful in stealing the vase. Xavier had probably gotten an alert by now telling him that the vase was just stolen from the Grand Palais. Which meant I didn’t have much time before he started to look for me. 

Because there was no doubt in my mind that the shapeshifter had left some kind of calling card to get Xavier’s attention. I continued to watch from my hiding spot as the shapeshifter found a place to show off the vase. All I had to do was wait until she was focused on something else before I made my move.

I continued to follow Whitney until I made it to the first hiding spot in my plan to capture her. While she was gone, I had gone around the building finding the best hiding places to hide behind. In this particular hiding spot I had hidden some rulers that were in Whitney’s desk. I decided that the only way to blindfold her without much fighting was to get her into a room small enough to jump her. I made sure Whitney wasn’t watching as I moved to a new hiding place while making soft taps with the rulers on the floor.

“Who’s there?” Whitney instantly shouts out. “That better not be you Crystal! I was thinking about keeping you alive, but now I am reconsidering.”

I continued to move behind objects all the while keeping up the tapping noise. Whitney is frantic now trying to find out where the tapping sound is coming from. But I had lots of time to plan this and Whitney won’t see me until I want her to. Which is never. I creeped into the room I had prepared for the trap and hid behind the door. My makeshift blindfold is on the floor next to me as well as the rope that had bound me to the chair.

“I swear Crystal when I find you I will kill you!” Whitney stormed into the room. I slammed the door and flicked off the lights.

From the way Whitney screeched in the darkness told me that she didn’t spend as much time in it as I did. My eyes adjusted quickly and as soon as they did I reached for my blindfold and tackled her to the ground. I didn’t give Whitney any time to shapeshift and tied the blindfold around her eyes.

“You lose Whitney. Time for you to pay for your crimes.” I told her. “Now where is my comm link?”

“You will not be celebrating for long. And you will never find your comm link.” Whitney struggled against my hold on her wrists. The rope that held me was now securing a bad guy. Girl. Whatever. You know what I mean.

“It’s back at the Grand Palais, isn't it? You know that Xavier won’t fall for that trick right? It is the oldest one in the book. I guess I am borrowing oh wait. I still have my phone. Looks like you aren’t that smart after all. Probably thought that I only communicate through my comm link bracelet. Didn’t think to check my pockets.” I pulled out my phone and called Xavier. He has a phone too you know. He just doesn’t really use it much.

“Agent Gem? Are you alright? You stopped contacting me and when I saw your comm link at the Grand Palais I thought the worst.” Xavier sounded super panicked.

“It’s over Xavier. I caught the shapeshifter. And surprisingly enough we aren’t too far from you. I am on my way now.” I pushed Whitney towards the door. 

“Oh, so you are okay. That is great. I knew you could do it Agent Gem. I will have men waiting for you outside of headquarters.” Xavier seemed to calm down right away and took up a more professional persona.

“See you soon.”

Within minutes the building that hides our headquarters comes into view. There are about a dozen police officers and five of Xavier’s men waiting outside. Xavier himself is there and he is standing besides the Chief of Police. “Where is the shapeshifter?” Xavier asks as we walk up.

“She is right here.” I shove Whitney to two policemen.

“She?” Xavier asks.

“We’ve always assumed the shapeshifter was a guy. When in reality the shapeshifter was a she.” I explained.

“Well I am glad to see you back safe and sound. And I am proud of you for capturing the shapeshifter. A celebration is in order, but first you must tell me all that happened while you were undercover. Also I liked you better with long, brown hair.” Xavier led me inside.

Once settled in chairs I began to tell my story. Starting with my appearance change, to finding one of two dirty doctors, to my friend Trixy turning out to be the shapeshifter in disguise. I finished with how I managed to take Whitney down. After I told Xavier everything that I had experienced a celebration started.

The celebration lasted long into the night, everyone congratulated me and eventually I had enough. I was happy that I was able to bring in a long time criminal, but I wasn’t that much of a partier. Also I just didn’t want to be congratulated anymore. I headed to my room. After I closed the door and turned on the light, I slipped into my pajamas.

Pulling down my covers I turned the light back off and climbed into bed. It didn’t take me long to fall asleep with a smile on my face. I couldn’t wait until the next exciting mission. But something told me that nothing would be able to top the shapeshifter mission.