Chapter Four: A New Look

I walked into the store and instantly began to look for clothes that I would normally never wear. I had to act completely different from how I normally act and that includes clothes. After a long while of searching I found the perfect outfit. A dark blue one piece suit and high top shoes. I added sunglasses and a hand bag to the ensemble.

    “Alright time for the hair.” I told myself after paying. I quickly changed into my new outfit and headed in the direction of my friend’s hair salon.

    Yes you heard me, friend. We are allowed to have friends, just not allowed to tell them anything true about ourselves. I understood that it was practically midnight, but I know my friend will still be there. She stays late to clean up and organize everything. She is OCD like that, but she loves doing it.

    I soon reach the salon and see her inside. I knock on the door. My friend jumps a mile into the air but calms down when she sees that it is only me. She hurried over to let me inside. “Crystal? What are you doing here so late?”

    “I am so sorry to bother you, especially since you’ve already cleaned up. But I need a favor.”

    “Sure anything.”

    “So my mom is coming into town tomorrow and I want a new look. You know, surprise her with a whole new me? I am sorry it is so late, I was getting ready for her arrival and have been running around non stop. I never had any time to stop in. I will even pay you double for your trouble.” I babble.

    “Of course I will give you a makeover. Just tell me what you want done. And please no extra cost.”

    “Thanks Trixy. You’re a lifesaver.” Yes okay, I lied about having a mom, but I also lie about my job and everything else.

    I explained to Trixy how I wanted my hair shoulder length and I wanted to dye it blond. Now my hair is naturally dark so I know it is a lot to ask in trying to make it blond. But Trixy doesn’t complain and is happy to do the best she can. As she worked on my hair we talked about what we each had been up to since the last time we saw each other. I had to lie of course, but it was extremely hard since we had been apart for a long time.

    “Alright you are all done. You really do look a lot different, but cute too. If you don’t like it or the shade is off I can always try to fix it now. If it is all wrong I can fix it with extensions or darker shades.” Trixy told me. Clearly she was worried I didn’t like it or wanted to change my mind. But I loved it. She did a really nice job.

    “I love it. How much do I owe you?” I assured her that she had done a good job.

    “Well the total cost would come to about $25 dollars, but you’re my friend so I will cover it.” Trixy replied.

    “Really? You sure?” I asked.

    “Yeah, really. Have a good time with your mom!”

    “I will. Bye Trixy.”

    Trixy let me out and then relocked the door behind me. We waved goodbye and I turned to walk towards a hotel. I couldn’t exactly go back to headquarters. Not when I looked so different. And if Xavier wasn’t there I probably wouldn’t be able to prove that it was me. I also had to think of a name and a way to get the shapeshifter to talk to me.

    Finally around 1:30 a.m. I arrived at a hotel. I walked in and walked over to the desk clerk. “Can I help you ma’am?”

    “I was just wondering if you had any rooms available. You see I forgot what time I was supposed to check in at my other hotel and by the time I got there they had already given up my room.” I explained in my best damsel in distress voice.