Here's to Humanity {Apocalypse AU}

(This artwork is not mine - credit to the original artist)

Bakugo POV-

It's almost scary how ready our generation is for the zombie apocalypse. But the reality is, that no one was ready when the time came. School, work, movies, books, so many different depictions on what the un-dead were to do if they stood once more. For me it was no different, the usual high school scheme, drive in horrors and those kids who theorized.

Would it come from a nuclear war? A newly developed chemical, perhaps a new vaccine gone wrong? A new virus. Where had it come from? No one knew and no one cared, because now, it's kill or be killed.

It happened so fast that I wonder where my high school days went. If you were to step back, you may be thinking, 'a high school dropout'. But after 5 years of seeing new faces from beyond the grave, you forget the way time travels. From 15 to 20, time sure does fly during the time of the un-dead.

The light of a new day seeped through the curtains as I took time to adjust to the days first light. Places like homes, beds, showers, shelter, were considered privileges. And most were earned. But be careful who you fall into alliance with, you can never be quite sure of one's beliefs.

The sheets were thin and offered no warmth against the chipping cold, my hair was ruffled, and my skin felt lathered, the need of a shower itching at my brain. I strained myself to stand as I cracked what I could, my joints felt looser as the cracks were music to my ears. My room was small, not much needed. You never know when you must pick up and scram. The room was larger than those in the levels below my own, about half the size of my bedroom before this entire ordeal. My bed was a singular, a small chase dutches stood lazily besides it. The floor and walls were made of concrete, loose pieces of pebbles were scattered where they could as I grunted in disgust, sweeping away what I could. I rubbed my face in exasperation as the gentle buzzes of the long and thick walkie talkie besides me began to sound.

"Sargent Bakugo Katsuki, your presence is requested in the mass hall." The radio was quick to circuit as I rolled my eyes. It didn't take long for me to be dressed, combat boots laced high, camo pants that slightly puffed with a belt around my waist, holes tattered down further because my waist is so fucking tiny. Little pouches lined the belt, few held bullets while the others held daggers, grenades, Molotov's, anything I packed them with. A black tank top was enough to suffice. The door was made of iron and was rusty on its hinges as it took strength to pry it open as I walked out, about to close the door.

"Holy fuck, how could I forget." I quickly jogged back into the room, grabbing my Rifle, throwing it to rest on my back as I placed two dual SMG's into my belt buckles, a sheath that held a machete, stained and sharp on my right hip.

I walked through the halls as many faces passed me, a few guards and few regular citizens. This place was known as a sort of, 'safe haven' as some would quote it. It was a rundown hospital that now goes by the name of U.A, some type of school the founders had previously taught at. It was also my high school, where I was when it happened.

My boots clapped against the tile as I marched down the halls, a scowl on my lips that made every person swerve from my line of vision as I was set on my destination, some dazed at the guns on my hips or over my shoulder, others fully aware of the grenades and machete on my hip. The hall was big, and only few were allowed in. When I arrived, the doors opened wide, large clattered halls as I moved to where I knew I had to be, and it wasn't long until I was sat at a large, rounded table.

"Good morning Kacchan!!" A boy gleamed, a voice I knew all too well.

"Fuck off Deku. Just because it's the apocalypse, doesn't mean I gotta be nice to your stupid ass." I hissed as I slammed myself into the wooden, almost broken chair, sliding my legs to rest atop the rounded, smooth and glossy table. I was almost surprised at how well maintained the fucking table is of all things. The hospital maintained minimal damage as we had plenty of participating workers that could fix any breaches or collapses in the building before, they became a larger issue, trading their services for extra food of the such. We had mechanics, black smiths, a large array of people that offered different services. But despite this being a hospital, very minimal trained doctors or surgeons remained alive, most were killed by the zombies at the time of the outbreak while they were on duty. They were extremely rare to come by, as if they were an almost extinct species. A large electrical fence run around the facilities that raised around 10 feet into the air. It was laced with barbed wire and sizzling circuits as soldiers stood post every part of the day, killing the zombies that got to close for comfort, or the ones that simply got fried by the fence.