Chapter Seven...

Chapter Seven...

"Really? He's getting bailed today?" Y/n pushed the coin inside the vending machine, staring at the lights on the button to choose for her refreshments. Pressing the coke as usual, as one can of cola drops itself on the slot making her squat down to grab her drink.

"Yup. Seems like Charlie's going to take him out with Eiji." Shorter leaned on his motorbike, wiping the strands of hair peeking through his forehead back up again with a grin.

She eyed him with a frown, taking a sip on her drink as she sat on a near bench. "You're not going to see him as well?" she asked.

"Well, I was going to, but Eiji wanted me to ask you first if you want to come with me. So yeah... wanna come along?" he asked.

Y/n looked at herself from the machine's light reflection on the glass. She then turned to her refreshments. "I don't want to show up looking all high school right now, y'know." she replied nonchalantly, taking another sip from her refreshments.

The mohawk grinned. "Well, you look like the plain old cosplayer. Don't sweat it." He teased.

"So, that's how you see me? A plain old cosplayer? Dude, we're going to fetch a teen who's out of jail and you're fine with me looking all miniskirts?"

Her response made Shorter laughed. "Now, now~ isn't that cute? You'll be cheering him up in no time with your hotness."

"Fucker, wanna die?" Y/n almost wanted to puke in disgust by how he mentioned the term hot on her. Indeed, it's given that she's used to compliments, but she can't help but feel embarrassed when she's alone with the person praising her about it.

"So... I take that as a no?"

"Well, if there's time for me to get change out of this disgusting skirt— woah!" unable to finish her sentence, Shorter suddenly grabbed her wrist. Yanking her towards the motor behind him as he started his engine and bolted away. "Shorter, what was that about?!" she asked louder to let the male hear her from the loud transport.

"Just hold tight, Arthur's guys are catching up." He explained, making her turned around to see few more vehicles on the chase, about a few meters away that suddenly have taken a toll on her life.

Unable to facepalm, she ended up knocking her forehead towards the mohawk's back. "Shorter, you'll pay for this." She grunted in irritation.

"Pay for what? Ah, you don't need to give me a kiss for being such a hero. I'm just keeping your little ass safe." He laughed.

"Idiot! Who told you to involve me with this damn chase again! I'm really going to punch you!" She pinched the poor male's belly.

"Ouch! Don't, girl. That's my tickle spot and I'm balancing both our lives in this two tired vehicle!"

"Well, you're fine dying but I better not be."

He chuckled. "Sure, sure. I'll protect you with my life damsel."

"Just shut up and drive." She muttered.

***

It took quite some time when they were able to avert Arthur's men, unable to come for Ash's bail and ended up hiding in an alley near China town.

The sun had already gone down, leaving them no choice but to stay hidden while few men lurked around Shorter's entrance turf. "Man, life's tough isn't it?" he sighed, leaning his back on the wall of the alley.

The girl followed his action, leaning beside him with a heavier sigh. "Life's tough when I met you." She replied.

"Now that hurts, sweetcake." The mohawk complained, suddenly hearing a ringtone from the male's jeans pocket. Scooping it out of his pants, he unlocked his medium and read the short message that actually made him chuckled in frustration. "This brat really did it this time..." he muttered.

Unable to contain her curiosity, Y/n looked at him in question. "What is it about?" she asked.

"Ash ran away. Let's go meet him." he said.

"Where?"

"There."

"Asshole. Try answering with specifics, if you please." She replied.

The Asian male laughed. "Girl, you just don't know how alluring your eloquent mouth speaks even though it's so vulgar." He grabbed her wrist, pulling her with him towards the other side of the alley. Phone in his other hand as he called his gang to meet him as well.

"Hmp... I can't believe I'm hanging out with you." She muttered, deciding to walk side by side with him but he didn't seem to let loose of her hand

It took quite a few turns before they were able to reach the designated meeting place which was another alley on the street near china town's shortcut entrances. It was already evening by then, seeing as more of Shorter's underlings had followed behind him started moving forward to see three silhouettes on the end of the trail. One was choking the other on the wall, making the Chinese gang boss signal his men to move forward from the blinding darkness.

"We'll take care of things here on." he coolly descended out of the darkness, dragging the girl who he's been pulling for a while. The underlings grabbed the suspicious man Ash was trying t question earlier.

"Shorter!" Eiji acknowledged, his eyes trailing towards the girl following behind the first. "Y/n, you're here too!" he said in delight.

"Yo..." the girl tamely greeted, waving her free hand as she stepped forward to face them. "How's the run?"

Ash quietly gave her a glance then to his best friend Shorter until his eyes went into their hands entwined before his eyes went back to the apathetic girl. "Seems like I should also be asking how's your run." He replied.

The girl shrugged, pulling her hand from shorter's and stretched her arms up. "Exhilarating." She sighed. "So... what's the plan now that you two ran?"

"I'll be taking things from here on—"

"No. Arthur and I also have a score to settle." Shorter cut him off, slamming his right fist to his left palm.

"Yeah, you'd probably need more manpower, huh." The girl added. She crossed her arms thoughtfully while listening to vehicles passing.

"Don't need much guys as long as I can kill that man." Ash hissed. "He's crossed the worst line he could never imagine."

"Y/n. Guess it's about time you go home as well." Shorter suddenly reminded, facing the girl who was left dazed from the moment.

The young males turned to look at her now. Their faces were nonchalant but not lacking with an expression prepared, making her shook her  head with a sigh. "How can I do that?" She asked firmly, eyeing Ash who wasn't expecting that shot of attention. "I was responsible for your brother's protection yet I didn't even do a thing."

"It wasn't your fault too." Ash grunted, over the way he looked troubled by it, it seemed that Eiji felt responsible for his brother's demise as well seeing how he sweep a hand through his blonde hair.

But of course, she won't yield just because she was told that it wasn't hers to take responsibility for. "You may think of it that way. But no matter what you say, I take a piece of blame for it... and, the answers to banana fish. The substance he took should never be taken out for further research." She said seriously. "Which is why, I should come."

"Y/n. Dr. Meredith won't be taking this lightly." Eiji added with his worried face.

She frowned in disapproval. "I'll come. It's final. No one tells Y/n Meredith what to do."