IX: Now

*banner by Kendal (livejournal)

The next morning, I had to call Stanley.

I had been holding back, reminding myself that I was a grown woman and I didn't need to go crying to my granddaddy figure every time I was in "turmoil" – to use one of Della's dictionary words – but I couldn't take it anymore. He was the only one not in the middle of this craziness, not brainwashed by Bennet's charms, and something told me that if I didn't talk to him I might just go insane.

He had to talk me down, and I knew he would. Stanley always knew what to say.

And even though he was in his early 80s and Keplar's had yet to wander into the 21st century in some ways, Stanley had a cell phone. He was one of the few in town who did, since he was one of the few who actually traveled. He answered on the second ring. "Natalie Jean! You miss me already, pumpkin?"

My heart was flooded with warmth. I wished I could hug him, just hug him, but that might have made me cry. It was probably a good thing we weren't in the same room.

"It seems like you've been gone for ages, Stanley, and the whole town's gone batshit crazy since you left," I said, sitting down on the edge of my bed not too far from my phone's base. The swirly cord wasn't too long, so I couldn't wander far. I told myself I should invest in a cordless phone already.

Stanley chuckled. "Yes, I've heard. And though I'd like to think everyone went nuts out of missin' me so bad, I know that's not the case. Heard our prodigal son returned."

I should have known he'd know. Della probably called him first thing.

"Yeah. He did," I said dully. "Why didn't you rush home to gush all over him like everyone else?"

"Now, now, Natty," Stanley said, chuckling. "You can't fault people for being quick to forgive."

I sighed, pushing my bitterness away the best I could. I didn't want to sound like a whiny brat to Stanley. "I know. But it doesn't mean I understand it."

"I do. It's how they are, darlin'. They love their people, they don't want to waste time bein' mad," he said.

"So you would be one of them, then?"

"Oh hell no," he said, letting out a loud chuckle. "I'd smack him upside the head and say 'boy, where the hell have you been?'"

"See? I knew you would understand." I fell back onto my bed, finally feeling a little sane again. The base of the phone slid forward on my side table but didn't fall off. I put my foot on it just to make sure it stayed.

"My ally – my one ally – and you're in Kaysville!" I said, shaking my head. "You just left me here to fight this battle alone. I'll never forgive you for it."

He laughed and laughed. "I believe it. I'll be grovelin' until I'm in my grave. You're such a stubborn thing."

I sighed. "I feel like the bad guy because I'm the only one who's mad at him."

"They don't know him like you knew him. None of us can really understand what you're goin' through," Stanley said.

And they didn't. They really didn't. There was so much that they didn't know, because I didn't tell them and I never would. I was never able to find the words.

Stanley sighed. "Della said he won't tell anyone what happened until he tells you. Has he told you?"

"No," I said. "He's tried a few times but I won't let him. Then when I did ask him, he wouldn't answer. He says it's complicated."

"Complicated?" Stanley said, then let out a grunting laugh. "Oh boy. Della says you've been fit to be tied, but now I understand why. It sounds like he's bein' pretty nonchalant about the whole thing."