XII: Now

Almost two days passed and I didn't have to try avoiding Bennet. He seemed to have vanished again, for me anyway. I knew he was still around – Della gave me constant reports of where he was and what he was doing – and I knew he was avoiding me.

Though it's strange to be, I was glad. I didn't want the sad puppy-dog eyes. I didn't want the questions. I had worked for years to close that chapter in my life, and the idea of opening it up and reading it again was exhausting. I knew it was going to happen whether I wanted to or not – there was no way in hell Bennet wouldn't want the details at some point – but I couldn't help but hope it would be awhile. A long while.

In the end, I appreciated his distance and something told me he knew that.

My shift at Della's ended in the late afternoon of the second Bennet-free day. Customers had been scarce and those who did come had the courtesy to keep their gossiping at whispering levels. They were finally starting to learn.

Della was letting the diner close up early so she could get her hair and nails done in preparation for Stanley's big return later that night.

"He's got you wrapped around his little finger," I told her, grinning as I shook my head. Despite the hole in my chest, I couldn't help being warmed by how adorable Della and Stanley were.

"What can I do?" she chuckled. "I love that old coot."

How nice and easy it was for her and Stanley. I was a little jealous.

She left with her silly grin still stretched on her face, leaving me to finish closing up alone, which I was fine with. If I had to close, I liked doing it by myself. I had my routine and other people just got in the way.

I looked out the window and saw the sky was fading into evening. I was glad I had decided to walk to work, it would be a nice way to end the day: a stroll under the changing sky. I set to work so I could get the place closed up in time.

I was just wiping the counter when the door creaked open. I cursed when I realized I forgot to lock it.

"Sorry hun, we're–" I looked up and found Bennet. I sighed. "Closed."

"I know," he said. "I ran into Della on her way to Daisy's."

"And yet you still came," I said, returning to my wiping. My voice was straight, neither mean nor nice, somewhere in between. "I know you're famous for bein' a rule-breaker, but this is ridiculous."

He grinned. "She said you might need some help closin' up."

Like Melba, Della was sweet but such a pain in the ass sometimes. "Thanks, but I'm fine."

I threw the washcloth through the window to the kitchen and it landed with a slosh in the sink. I walked around the counter to stack the chairs onto the clean tables.

"I used to help you all the time after school," Bennet said, following me and picking up a nearby chair. "I might still know how to do it."

What did a girl have to do to get her alone time? "I doubt it," I said, taking the chair from him. "I think you're a bit out of practice."

"Look, Natty, I didn't come here to piss you off," he said quietly, then took the chair back from me and set it upside down on the table.

"I know," I said, not looking him. "So why did you come?"

"I don't know, I just–" he scratched the back of his neck, then ran his hand through his hair, letting it slap onto his thigh. I waited for his fingers to twiddle on his jeans and sure enough they did. Like clockwork. "I don't want you to hate me, which may be askin' too much, I don't know. Look, I'm gonna be leavin' soon, real soon, and I just don't want to go with you and me feelin' nasty toward each other."