XX: Now

*banner by Silverbelle26 (Livejournal)

I woke up in bed, alone. Again.

The last memory I had was lying on the kitchen floor with Bennet, panting with sexual exhaustion. For a second I panicked again, about to go stomping through the house like I had done earlier.

Then I heard a shuffle and turned over to see Bennet walking in, fully dressed in jeans and a fitted dark blue T-shirt, hair somewhat brushed (probably used his fingers) and his boots on, laces undone. He stopped when he saw I was awake and smiled before crawling onto the bed and scooting up next to me. He tried to kiss me but I pushed him away. I didn't want my morning breath to kill him so soon after I got him back.

I could smell mint from his mouth and knew he had gotten into my toothpaste and mouthwash, which made me even more self-conscious. He said he didn't care and still tried to kiss me, but I ended up having to wrap the blanket around my head to get him to give up. He called me a stubborn ass, I told him "Damn straight."

"How did I get from the kitchen to the bed, by the way?" I asked from under the covers.

"You fell asleep so I carried you back here," he said. "I really didn't want to get a stiff back from the kitchen floor."

He carried me from the kitchen? I had been carried in those muscular arms of his and wasn't even awake to enjoy it?

Damn it.

"Oh there it is," I heard him say and felt the weight of his body push on me. I pulled the blanket away enough to see he was reaching over me for something.

He picked up his badge from his backpack on the floor, which somehow ended up in the bedroom. Looks like he had been digging through it earlier while I was sleeping, a mess of stuff was on the side table that hadn't been there before: his keys, his wallet, his little gun holster thingy mixed with my gum wrappers and alarm clock, my bits of make-up and my keys.

Our stuff was mixed again. I liked the look of it, especially the few ripped condom wrappers thrown in there bringing everything together. I had to laugh a little at that.

Bennet saw his opportunity, ripping the blanket down to snake a kiss from me. I pushed him away and ducked under the blankets again, but he still chuckled at his triumph.

When I felt him move off the bed I poked my head out again. He was shoving his badge in his back pocket and walking around the bed until he was at the side table. He picked up his wallet, shoved it in his other back pocket, pulled his gun holster thingy onto his shoulders, and then picked up the keys. In doing so, he pushed the condom packets to the floor, so all that was left on the table was my stuff. I really didn't like the look of it.

"What are you doin'?" I sat up, forgetting my death breath. "Where're you goin'?"

"To bust Stanley."

"Now? You're goin' now?"

"Yep," he said, sitting on the side of the bed and kissing my forehead. "I don't have to wait anymore. I'm goin' in."

"What?" I said. "Wait? Why did you hafta wait?"

Now that I thought about it, why did he wait? He had been in Keplar's for days, he had the proof against Stanley and he told me he had gotten a warrant. I know Stanley had only gotten back into town the night before and he and I had been a little busy then, but still. Why did he wait until now?

"Well I had to have you on my side before I busted him," he said, bending down to start tying his boots. I grabbed his shoulder and yanked him back before he got the first loop made.