Janson

Thomas and Minho went to where they were keeping Janson. It was a large room with a lock on the outside. Minho opened the door. Janson was sat in the corner of the room not reacting to the opening of the door. Both boys crept in. Jansons eyes were scattering around his head. They kept rolling back, like he had just died but they returned as quickly as they had gone.

"Janson," Minho said sternly. Janson didn't acknowledge the boy, his eyes still fluttering around the room.
"Janson," this time it came from Thomas. Jansons eyes flickered to Thomas's. They shared a look. "How are you here."

"Why would you care?" Janson asked looking back down into his lap. His eyes rolled back again. But this time they didn't return. His head fell forward. Janson was dead.

Thomas and Minho just stood there staring at the corpse sitting in front of them. "Well that was a great conversation," Minho said, a strong level of sarcasm in his voice.

The boys left the room but locked it just in case. They went back to their rooms. Minho pulled out a chair for Thomas to sit down while he himself sat on Thomas's hammock. Thomas lent over to his cabinet. He grabbed a piece of folded paper that was not the side. The boys eyes welled up as he read through the paper.

Dear Thomas,

This is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously I don't know if I wrote any before the maze, but even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared, well not of dying anyway, it's more forgetting, it's loosing myself to this virus that's what scares me. So every night I've been saying there names out loud, Alby, Winston, Chuck, and I just repeat them over and over like a prayer and it all comes flooding back. Just the little things, like the way the sun used to hit the glade at that perfect moment right before it hit the walls and I remember Frypans stew, I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you... I remember the first time you came up in the box. Just a scared little greenie who couldn't even remember his own name, but from that moment you ran into the maze I knew I would follow you anywhere, and I have. We all have. If I could do it all over again, I would, and I wouldn't change a thing. And my hope for you is that when you looking back years from now, I hope you can say the same thing. The future is in your hands now Tommy, and I know you'll find a way to do what's right, you always have. Take care of everyone for me, and take care of you're self. You deserve to be happy.

Thank you for being my friend.

Goodbye mate,
Newt.