11. Jenny Seeks Advice

Jenny was so nervous about her upcoming personal training appointment next week, she blew two weeks of grocery money on buying new workout gear. Thank goodness for her employee discount. Up until that phone call, sweating into her ten-year-old shirts and sweatpants had been just fine. But now? The very thought of even appearing before Juliana in those ratty things set her into a panic. She hoped the new outfits would fulfill their promise of wrangling her 'fluffiness' into some semblance of a figure.

But why, though? Why bother when Juliana had a boyfriend named Noah? Probably a muscular, handsome guy with good hair who also volunteered at a homeless shelter. Jenny could imagine him walking his fingers up and down Juliana's leg while she was on the phone with her. Juliana deserved a nice guy like that. She hoped they were happy together.

Still, after the disastrous first impression she'd made, a good second impression couldn't hurt. She held up a pink workout shirt and compared it to the blue one. She liked both, but which was better?

She picked up her phone to dial her go-to person for advice.

"Mom," she said when the call connected. "Do I look better in blue or pink?"

Her mother didn't even hesitate. "You look good in everything, sweetheart."

It wasn't what she was looking for, but Jenny smiled anyway. "Thanks, Mom, but I'm serious. Which color makes me look, you know, prettier?"

Her mother gasped with delight. "Are you going on a date? Who's the lucky girl? When do I get to meet her?"

"Slow down, Mom. It's not a date. I'm—" Jenny paused, slightly embarrassed to admit she was dressing up to go to the gym. "I've decided I need to start caring about my appearance a little more."

"Mm-hmm. So who is it?" Her mom's voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper. "Ooh, is it someone at work?"

"Are you saying you approve of workplace fraternizing?"

"I'm saying love is love, no matter where you find it."

"You are such a romance novel, Mom."

"And you are avoiding my question."

Jenny sighed. "Fine. It's a trainer at the gym."

"Ooh! Did I ever tell you about my affair with Daigo?"

Jenny's jaw dropped. "You had an affair?"

"Oh yes. This was before your father. I was working at a concession stand inside a gym. Daigo was a trainer there. Short. Didn't talk much. But he always left money in the tip jar. And those muscles!" Her mother made a shivering sound. "We never officially dated, but let me tell you, that sex was hot."

"Okay, Mom." Jenny pulled the phone away from her ear and gaped at it, trying to decide if she was grossed out or in awe. "Thanks for the, uh, for that."

"All I'm saying is don't be afraid to go for it. Maybe it'll work out, or maybe it won't. You won't know till you try."

"But she has a boyfriend."

"Did I ever tell you about—"

"Mom!"

"All right, all right. I'll spare you the details. Wear the blue, sweetheart. It brings out your eyes."

"Thanks, Mom."

"Tell me about her."

"The trainer?"

"Yes. What about her makes your heart tremble?"

Jenny rolled her eyes. "How many romance novels do you read a day?"

"Something had to replace your father. Now stop changing the subject. What's her name?"

"Juliana."

"Ooh, I knew a Juliana once. She was—never mind. Please continue."

"She's really nice. And toned. And makes a ponytail look surprisingly sexy."

"I like her already. How did you meet?"

Jenny squirmed, not at all eager to share the mortifying tale. "The gym is offering a free week of personal training, so I signed up."

"What makes her stand out from all the other trainers?" her mom asked. "I assume there's more than one."

"She's the one who—" She nearly slipped and said "rescued me." Maybe a small fib was in order. "—was assigned to me."

"And? I know you're holding out on me, Jenny. Give me the heart-pounding details."

Jenny covered half her face with one hand, wondering how she was related to such a hopeless romantic. But thoughts of Juliana wormed into her mind anyway. "She makes me feel safe."

"That's wonderful, sweetheart. You can't start anything serious if you don't feel safe."

"Boyfriend, Mom."

"That doesn't mean you two can't be friends. Have you made any out there?"

Jenny looked over at the stack of textbooks on her desk. "I'm... working on it."

"I think you're just working, but I'm not going to nag you. You're a grown woman now. Just know that I love you."

Her eyes misted over. She'd forgotten how much she missed her mom. Missed feeling her warm, reassuring embrace on a bad day. "I love you too, Mom."

"And remember to use protection."

"What? Mom, I'm not hooking up with anyone, much less a guy."

"Yes, well, you never know when an accidental threesome might come up. Did I ever tell you about this one time..."

Mom! Ew, no. Just hit the vote button, will you?